Odd interactions between VR turning and VR milling

CNC related queries on software; firmware; DOS; Windows; parameters; programming; error messages etc.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

MadeForThat
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: Micromill 2000:
Nextstep-4 axis
Novaturn ns:
denstep card (from swap)-atc

Odd interactions between VR turning and VR milling

Post by MadeForThat » Thu 19 Sep , 2019 15:59 pm

So for background: I have freshly swapped a novaturn with a denstep card and a micromill with a nextstep card. Vr milling v5 works great on a fresh install, can connect to mill and jog. Now when Vr turning is installed, is when things get complicated. I could connect to the novaturn, and home it, but when attempting to jog it timed out. I don't recall exactly what I did, but I believe I attempted to disconnect from the machine by pressing the "real machine" button. Vr turning stopped responding and had to be forced to stop by task manager. Now I cant connect to the machine :? Well it was pretty late at this point, so I figured that was a good point to stop. Yet I still wanted to test vr milling for the 4th axis control, so I moved back to that. I reconfigured parameters for a 4th axis, and when I attempted to connect I got an error saying there wasn't a mint file for a micromill with a 4th axis. I'm not too concerned about that, i don't believe that played any part in the following. I disable 4th axis and attempt to connect again, and it doesn't seem to recognize that a board is even connected. At this point I was wondering if there was a communication problem with my usb to serial adapter. I will investigate that. Also, when I have a chance tonight I will do a fresh install of both programs to see if it is repeatable. Please feel free to chime in with ideas for me to test :)

MadeForThat
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: Micromill 2000:
Nextstep-4 axis
Novaturn ns:
denstep card (from swap)-atc

Re: Odd interactions between VR turning and VR milling

Post by MadeForThat » Mon 23 Sep , 2019 3:14 am

So after a few other attempts I tried this: Install and got Vr Milling functional and connected, then install VR Turn in a different directory. I used Program files(x86)/Denford for Vr Milling, and Program Files(x86)/Denford2 for Turning. I dont know if the files are overwriting each other when installed in the default directory together, but this worked haha. No trouble yet.