Post Process to TNC 145 ?

CNC related queries on software; firmware; DOS; Windows; parameters; programming; error messages etc.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Blasterbates
Hardware/Software: Triac, Novaturn, Bravura,Starmill, microrouter compact, Bridgeport Heidenhan

Post Process to TNC 145 ?

Post by Blasterbates » Wed 05 Dec , 2012 19:56 pm

Hello all
Just registered today having spoke to Martin Ironmonger, I have lots of questions but first can i post process to Heidenhan tnc 145 if i can what software can i use ?

regards and thanks in advance

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: Post Process to TNC 145 ?

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 06 Dec , 2012 10:05 am

It depends on which CAD and CAM software you are going be using.
None of our CAD/CAM has a post processor setup for Heidenhain but I'm sure there will be lots of CAD CAM systems out there that will post to TNC145/155

Blasterbates
Hardware/Software: Triac, Novaturn, Bravura,Starmill, microrouter compact, Bridgeport Heidenhan

Post by Blasterbates » Thu 06 Dec , 2012 20:17 pm

We have Inventor, also autocad LT and techsoft 2d. will any of these do? is Inventor too recent ?
regards

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 07 Dec , 2012 10:21 am

All those are OK for creating 2D and 3D desins which can be used by CAM software.
You just need to find a 2D + 3D CAM system which will post process to either Heidenhain Dialogue or Heidenhain ISO G Codes (I think the TNC145 had the choice of both languages...Dialogue is the default Heidenhain programming system which made it easy for operators to program fancy stuff like bolt holes and pockets)
I'm sure any of the CAM systems available will have an Heidenhain post.

Our own CAM software will output plain g-code programs and could be configured to let the TNC145 recognise them in ISO mode. We just don't have the ability to test it out.

PS this manual for the TNC355 will be mostly relevant to the TNC145:
viewtopic.php?p=3945

Blasterbates

Post by Blasterbates » Thu 20 Dec , 2012 16:54 pm

Hi there
we have brought a design from inventor (saved as an STL file) into Quick Cam. There was a problem when recognising the size from inventor e.g 25mm cube on inventor showed up as 2.5mm cube in quick cam ? any thoughts or ideas ? Also it asks if the model is imperial when quite obviously it is not.
regards
Colin

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 02 Jan , 2013 10:26 am

STL files do not contain unit information so the software guesses the model units could be imperial when it sees a small model.
eg, the average model size for our machines is about 100mm square so if .STL comes in and is 4 units square then it prompts you with the question.

The best thing to do is export the STL in units of mm...there may be export options from the CAD software, or you may have to change the current drawing units and it will then use those when exporting the .STL file