Communication parameters for Novaturn Lathe

CNC related queries on software; firmware; DOS; Windows; parameters; programming; error messages etc.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

g4hup
Hardware/Software: VRTurn, VRMill
Novaturn, Novamill

Communication parameters for Novaturn Lathe

Post by g4hup » Wed 18 Jan , 2012 12:33 pm

I have a refurbished Novaturn lathe with USB comms (also have the mill, but not dealing with that yet!) It was installed and checked by the Denford engineer in October, and was run successfully for training off his notebook, as our dedicated PC's had not arrived then.

Now that we have our PC's, I am trying to get to the point where we can use the system for students. Having got past the point that VRTurn must run from an account with admin privileges, I am now faced with a system that cannot recognise there is a machine attached!

I have been through the usual 'is it all connected and turned on' checks, and have confirmed that the USB drivers are loaded. I have re-installed the drivers. I still have a 'can't connect to a machine' error message when I click on the 'real machine' button in VRTurn, after it has gone through a Com port scan.

What should the comms settings be - I currrently have:
Control Type - 0
Baud rate - 19200
Com port - 4 (based on information from Windows Device Manager - I have also tried other ports)
Stop bits - 2
Mint File: C:\Program Files\Denford\VRTurn etc - I have checked this!
Polling Delay - 50
M Code Timeout - 10000
T Code Timeout - 60000
Hardware handshaking - have tried On and Off!

When I right click on the Machine icon, and select the 'find machine' option, there is an immediate response of no machine connected, and the ports list is unpopulated - in other words it seems that VRTurn cannot see the USB ports at all. VRTurn has been uninstalled and re-installed a couple of times already!

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave
West Suffolk College

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: Communication parameters for Novaturn Lathe

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 18 Jan , 2012 15:28 pm

I think you have the wrong machine type activated.
It should be NovaturnNS - here the default control type in the parameters will be 9
Also, forget about the find machine option (that's an old feature we used to help locate RS232 machines only)
The USB machines are much easier to find and the software will change control type automatically according to the version of firmware it finds.
Normally the only issues with USB are if the control card is faulty, usb cable is loose, USB has had an electrical spike and blown the usb port at either or both end, the NODE number has been changed somehow (very rare) or the windows driver isn't installed (possibly due to not enough admin rights)

g4hup
Hardware/Software: VRTurn, VRMill
Novaturn, Novamill

Re: Communication parameters for Novaturn Lathe

Post by g4hup » Wed 18 Jan , 2012 18:19 pm

Thanks - that has now got me to a state where I can 'see' the machine and carry out manual actions.
Dave
West Suffolk College