program transfer problems

CNC related queries on software; firmware; DOS; Windows; parameters; programming; error messages etc.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

-=PAB=-
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

program transfer problems

Post by -=PAB=- » Tue 08 Aug , 2006 23:06 pm

im using denford triac software v2.4 to download and upload programs to/from the machine (triac atc 1990) - when using G02 or G03 movements - even though the program runs fine on the graphics and syntax is ok on pc - when uploaded onto triac extra lines are placed in the program mostly G54 datum shifts and also Z movements???? any idea why or how to stop this??? cheers....

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 09 Aug , 2006 10:16 am

I don't know anything about the DOS software, so this is only a guess:

The extra lines must be coming from somewhere-
Either its hard coded into the operating software (can't do anything about it)
or,
There is a file somewhere which holds something like a template - telling the software what information to add (possibly for each machine)

Do a search within all the files for things like "G54" and any other things that are being added.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 09 Aug , 2006 10:18 am

PS,

The adding of the codes could take place in the software you are sending from, OR in the software thats receiving it :?

-=PAB=-
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by -=PAB=- » Wed 09 Aug , 2006 13:04 pm

that really helps :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :? :? :?

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 09 Aug , 2006 13:11 pm

Sorry :!: - but I can only tell you what I would do to try work it out, as I have no previous knowledge of the DOS software - I've never even used it.

Others on here may be able to help though - PM Mr Magoo with a link to this topic

Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Mr Magoo » Wed 09 Aug , 2006 22:05 pm

Admin's right - the extra G Codes that the software is putting into the program when you DNC are hard coded and can't be changed :(

But I think the values might not be and you may be able to alter them :)
Try edding (or editiing) the following lines in your TRIAC.OPT file...

MOVERANGEZ 200
TOOLCHANGEZ 200

FYI Non-ATC machines have a Z travel of 235mm, whilst ATC version have a Z travel of 200mm and so the "out of limits" moves the s/ware is putting in

If that doesn't work try adding...

MACHINEEXTENTZ 200

Finally, Ind Text Editor is probably the better s/ware to use for upload/download as it sends exactly what it sees, but you say you've had problems getting it working???
Make sure you load te PNC settings in bonth "Configuration" and "Comms" menus - and if that fails let me know what the symptoms are and I'll try to help further

As always - Good Luck :!:

-=PAB=-
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by -=PAB=- » Thu 10 Aug , 2006 13:12 pm

i have tried loading both config and cs files in before i start- when i try to send a program to the machine or run using dnc nothing happens- lines are sent but machine does not move- if i select the PNC option it hangs on first line without sending - i think it is waiting for a transmission from machine??

thanks for replys- any advice is gratefully accepted- cheers lads.. :D

if anyone has a working config file for the TRIAC ATC (1990) please send it to me..

-=PAB=-
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by -=PAB=- » Fri 11 Aug , 2006 17:31 pm

managed to get triac software and industrial text editor to work- but they both have the same problem - it will run through the program fine untill i put a M03 - the spindle starts and gets to revs but then nothing - no more movements??? take the m03 out and it works fine?? i have tried a few different progs.... nothing.. :cry: ( when i stop the industrial text editor after this it displays error 5!)

can a triac atc (1990) be upgraded?? smooth contouring??

Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Mr Magoo » Fri 11 Aug , 2006 22:25 pm

That is strange behaviour???

Because the Ind Text Editor just sends what is in the file, I expected this to work without any problems once you'd got he comms sorted out.

If the "Error 5" message is coming back from the triac then it means "move exceeds limits" (I got this info from the MANUALS.ZIP download on the Denford website - Triac SEC37_P111.JPG) but could also mean the Spindle speed is ecxeeding it's limit - try a small speed like 250 rpm and see if that helps. (The error 5 could be generated by the Ind Ed s/ware in which case I guess it just means transmission aborted)

Also, make sure the spindle start is after your toolchange block- this may help.

Re: smooth contouring - no, the Triac can't "easily" be upgraded. Ripping out the entire electrics an replacing with new is the only option :!: :!: :!:

:shock:

-=PAB=-
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by -=PAB=- » Fri 11 Aug , 2006 23:48 pm

tried at 300rpm and 2000 and m03 is after tool change as soon as m03 nothing else happens..

-=PAB=-
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by -=PAB=- » Sun 13 Aug , 2006 23:00 pm

could it be that the software recognises the actual speed is slower than the programed but only by a few revs?? :?: :?: programed = 500Rpm actual =493Rpm..

Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Mr Magoo » Sun 13 Aug , 2006 23:57 pm

You I think you may be right :!:

The spindle not getting up to speed would certainly give these sypmtoms - but I'm suprised the permissable error is so small. Your speed is less than 2% of programmed speed!

I think there is a potentiometer mounted on the main circuit board in the "Spindle" section. You could try adjusting this to get the speed right - but make sure you make a note of it's present position so if it doesn't solve the problem you can put it back whee it was! (I think it may be a multi-turn pot too, so it's screw adjustment is through a 10:1 worm gear inside the pot)

-=PAB=-
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by -=PAB=- » Mon 14 Aug , 2006 23:07 pm

unfortunately that hasn't helped- is still stops after an m03 - take it out and the program runs through fine- it does however stop at different points- not always directly after an mo3 maybe a line of 2 after. sometimes i get error 1 come up on indust text editor and error 4 sometimes nothing at all and it just hangs???

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 15 Aug , 2006 9:17 am

It sounds a bit like random comms errors which it can't recover from:

Double check your cables and any plugs/sockets in between
Make the RS232 cable run as short as possible and away from any electrical noise - and good quality shielded twisted pair.
(May be that the comms screws up when the spindle starts because of EM radiated noise :?: )
Are RTS / CTS connected at both ends ?
Could it be the speed of the PC or the OS your using ? - try an older one or an application which slows the PC

We had lots of random problems with Win2K and RS232 - also with newer PCs and the comms FIFO buffers (try altering the FIFO buffer size in Device manager)

-=PAB=-
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by -=PAB=- » Wed 16 Aug , 2006 22:57 pm

yeah its completly random - dont really know how to get around this- even when i transfer a program into the machine memory it sometimes has extra lines or garbled data?????????? :roll:

Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Mr Magoo » Thu 17 Aug , 2006 1:40 am

Try setting "2 stop bits" in the Ind Text Editor software "Communications->Install Comms" menu after you've loaded the PNC settings.

Or try adding a delay between lines, or between characters. You can set this in Ind Editors menus, but can't remember where :?: :!:

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 17 Aug , 2006 9:50 am

Try setting "2 stop bits"
Yep - thats fixed a few weird comms problems in the past - gives the host and client a bit more time to breath - can you try drop the baud rate to say 300 baud ?

RS232 comms is never 100% accurate and the more you can do to reduce faulty bits being sent - (eg improve noise immunity) the better.

Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Mr Magoo » Thu 17 Aug , 2006 10:16 am

Good idea to try dropping the baudrate Mr Admin :!:

But not too easy on the old Triac PNC machines :(

The baudrate in the Triac is set via the bank of DIP switches on the main PCB, but I can't remember which ones. I think one switch defined if the machine started up in INCH or METRIC mode, 3 or more defined the baudrate and after that I can't remember, but I do think the baudrate switches were all at one end of the bank so you could just try changing some - the actual baudrate is shown on the screen when you enter datalink mode (well probably - some earlier Triacs didn't show this information)

I think the switches are only read at startup so you'll have to switch off between tries

-=PAB=-
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by -=PAB=- » Sat 19 Aug , 2006 14:01 pm

that worked great just neeeded a delay between characters and 2 stop bits- works every time now.. thanks so much for help..

also got my 7"screen working -needed a replacement video card which i got off ebay for £10- lucky!!

drawbar is also working well now i have re-machined a new slot after the old one was chipped and got stuck on the dowel pin....

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Mr Magoo » Sat 19 Aug , 2006 21:08 pm

Great news PAB

Usefull tip:
Once yr happy with yr Ind Text Editors Config and Comms settings, save them as EDITOR.CFG and EDITOR.CS and they will become the defaults when Ind Editor loads.