Which software for STARTURN?

CNC related queries on software; firmware; DOS; Windows; parameters; programming; error messages etc.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

poik

Which software for STARTURN?

Post by poik » Sat 01 Apr , 2006 16:25 pm

I would be most grateful if anyone can tell me the correct software to drive a STARTURN lathe. The manual tells you to install FANUCSLD, but then all subsequent screenshots in the manual are of MIRAC (!)

Neither are available on the Denford site.

Help very much appreciated.

Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Mr Magoo » Mon 03 Apr , 2006 12:09 pm

Use the FANUCSLD software!

The FANUCSLD was for a Starturn, the MIRAC software was not.

I'll see if I can dig out a copy of the FANUCSLD software and post this on to Denford to put on their site

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 03 Apr , 2006 12:32 pm

Hi,

I've put a few more DOS software disk images and PDF's on our main website. FanucSLD is there now.
Go to http://www.denford.co.uk/technical-support.asp

I'm hoping Mr Magoo :shock: can do some sort of guide as to how you create a DOS disk for your particular machine.

poik

FanucSLD software

Post by poik » Mon 03 Apr , 2006 20:58 pm

Many thanks for uploading the STARTRURN fanucsld software. Unfortunately when I follow the user manual instructions (either copy all to c:\denford or run from a:\) I get :

'Error <128> Software aborted'

What a nuisance! any thoughts on what this means?

Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Mr Magoo » Mon 03 Apr , 2006 21:24 pm

Are there any other messages displayed prior to "Error 128"?

Make sure you're running the software from a DOS prompt. Running the software by clicking on the Executable in windows may mean you are not seeing all of the error messages being displayed.

poik

starturn software

Post by poik » Mon 03 Apr , 2006 21:49 pm

Hi,

I am definitely running from the dos prompt - and have tried on a 486 sx25 and also a Pentium 75. These seem about the right genre for the Starturn.

A line comes up first saying something like 'denford starturn cnc software version X.XX, 1995'.

The next line is the error 128.

Thanks for your help and support.

Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Mr Magoo » Wed 05 Apr , 2006 14:02 pm

I've been trying to test the FANUCSLD to reproduce your problem, but unfortunatly I do not have access to a win98 machine (and my laptop doesn't have a floppy drive!)

I think the problem may be a base memory issue - the software requires a minimum amount of free base ram (memory upto the 640k boundary).

Try formatting a floppy disk as a boot disk, then booting your PC from that, then running the FANUCSLD software. Alternatively, you could press f8 (I think) whilst your PC is booting from it's hard disk to bypass the Win98 startup files, then running the FANUCSLD software.

poik

Starturn

Post by poik » Wed 05 Apr , 2006 18:46 pm

Hi,
Appreciate the help, but my 2 PC's have Win 95 and win 3.11. As such they are surely typical of the age of the machine. The denford manual just says 'copy to hard disk' and they run. I have done exactly what a 1995 user would have done, and on the right type of machine too.

Running from a boot disk created the same error. Is this a DOS error code?

Am I the only man in universe with a STARTURN?!

Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Mr Magoo » Thu 06 Apr , 2006 12:17 pm

I've just posted a topic that may answer your question.
Click here to view it.

It also occured to me that the software maybe displaying more info, but then clearing the screen before you have chance to see it. Piping the output of the program to a text file may give you more clues to the problem.

To do this, type the following at the command prompt...

FANUCSLD>output.txt

This will produce a file called OUTPUT.TXT that you can open with DOS EDIT or windows Notepad and may contain more than just the "128 software aborted" error

:shock: