Issues with LatheCAM and VR Turning

Help and advice for Denfords lathe control software VR Turning.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

boots
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Issues with LatheCAM and VR Turning

Post by boots » Tue 23 Sep , 2008 14:55 pm

LatheCAM v1.11a

At this time, I am using the Lathe CAM Design to generate the CNC code for the lathes. This seems to work OK. I do have to play with the file name extensions a bit. The Designer software creates an "LCD" file. Choosing the "generate G-code" option creates the "FNC" file and the VRTurning software looks for a "FNL" extension. Using the "show all files" option in the Open dialog window will show me my part to machine. I then open and can see the G-code in the editor window.

How do I get LatheCAM to create the machine code in a FNL file?

VR Turning v1.17

When running VRTurning VR Machine application I jog the tool to index (X and Z) on the work piece and set the tool offset. I must run the simulation once to get an error message about exceeding limits. The workpiece will then "simulate to the correct" size. It literally "grows out of the chuck!" Then I reset the offsets and the simulation works correctly. In short, the simulation does not read the default billet size or G-code specified size initially.

What settings need to be changed to simulte the part correctly?

Thanks

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Wed 24 Sep , 2008 10:22 am

I will answer the post in two parts

How do I get LatheCAM to create the machine code in a FNL file?

When designing in LCD if you do a save the geometry is saved as an LCD file.

If you select Create G Code then the file created will be an FNL file.

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Wed 24 Sep , 2008 10:32 am

I am a little unsure of what you meen by the info below.

When you start the VR machine is there a billet shown in the chuck?

If not with the simulation window active Go to Setup and set a default billet size (the same as the billet in the program)

In VR turning the Virtual lathe runs just as the real lathe.

You have to jog the turning tool to the corner of the work and set offsets before you simulate just as you would do with a real lathe.

Make sure you have a correct billet shown :!:

Make sure the tools are configured in the tool library as they are on the machine and as they are in LatheCAM.
:!:
Make sure you set the tool offsets. :!:

When running VRTurning VR Machine application I jog the tool to index (X and Z) on the work piece and set the tool offset. I must run the simulation once to get an error message about exceeding limits. The workpiece will then "simulate to the correct" size. It literally "grows out of the chuck!" Then I reset the offsets and the simulation works correctly. In short, the simulation does not read the default billet size or G-code specified size initially.

What settings need to be changed to simulte the part correctly?

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Thu 25 Sep , 2008 17:22 pm

Each michine type selected in LatheCamDesigner can create its own file extension. You need to edit the "fanucl.ini" file

Look in C:\Denford\Config

You can open it with either Notepad or Word.

In the fanucl.ini file there is a section for each machine. Go to the machine type you have & alter the line to Extension=FNL

Don`t forget to save the updated file.

dixonsca
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: Denford Magnum router. (now upgraded to a 3d router using retrofit kit macmotion controller and upgraded stepper motors)
Triac PC
Nova mill
Microrouter
Turn 270 Pro
Unimatic 4th axis
Makerbot Replicator 2
VR Milling 5
techsoft 2d design
corel draw
solidworks
artcam
lathecam designer
quickturn 2d

Re: Issues with LatheCAM and VR Turning

Post by dixonsca » Tue 20 Mar , 2012 23:33 pm

by changing that line in the "ini" file, will this enable lathecam designer to output a .fnl file instead of a .fnc file?

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: Issues with LatheCAM and VR Turning

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 22 Mar , 2012 17:46 pm

by changing that line in the "ini" file, will this enable lathecam designer to output a .fnl file instead of a .fnc file?
Yes.

However the extension should be correct for the machine's type: .fnl for lathes and .fnc for mills