Tool Hovering above the block z-axis

Information and tips about the F1 In Schools, 4x4 In Schools and GT Racing in Schools challenges.

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

hughhend@msn.com
Hardware/Software: Denford Compact 1000

Tool Hovering above the block z-axis

Post by hughhend@msn.com » Thu 20 Jan , 2022 16:42 pm

I am trying to rejuvenate a Compact 1000 that hasn't been used for ten years. I have followed the video to set the offsets for the f1 jig and have the model block in place. When I run the right side test program from Denford the tool doesn't reach down to the model block and at its lowest position it just makes a small hole in the surface instead of milling half way through the block. The x and y seem to be bang on exactly the way it is suppose to be. I am new to the Denford milling world and maybe missing something very easy. Tooling offset problem?
Attachments
MicrosoftTeams-image.png
Picture of contact
MicrosoftTeams-image.png (2.39 MiB) Viewed 4673 times

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Tool Hovering above the block z-axis

Post by Steve » Mon 24 Jan , 2022 10:42 am

Did you set the Z datum position in the center of the spiggot holding the model Block?
With the tool touching on the surface of the block the program position should read z +32.5

I would also check that the tool is able to travel down in the Z axis beyond the centre line of the block. If not you may need to reposition the motor mounting plate.

Have you got the latest version of QuickCAM PRO as this has a car wizard and also come detailed help tutorials on setting the datum.

hughhend@msn.com

Post by hughhend@msn.com » Mon 24 Jan , 2022 16:42 pm

I did zero the bit on top of the spiggot holding the car +6. The reading on the top of the block is +32.5
I ran an old car file I found and the machine worked just fine. For some reason the F1 test jig file doesn't touch down far enough. I'll look into how far down the router will reach and re-position if necessary.

hughhend@msn.com

Post by hughhend@msn.com » Mon 24 Jan , 2022 19:45 pm

Thanks Steve, I did lower the router mount one set of bolts and the file ran great.