Correct voltage on 10V reference on Novamill Sprint 400 Spindle Board

Information and questions about Denford CNC Control electronics, general electrical issues, cables, diagrams, stepper motors, drives etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

aetherex
Hardware/Software: Denford Novamill 2002 w/ Mach3 USB Bitsensor Controller Board

Correct voltage on 10V reference on Novamill Sprint 400 Spindle Board

Post by aetherex » Tue 23 Aug , 2022 7:32 am

Hi,

A long time lurker (~6 years) and first time poster here on Denford forum.

I have been using Novamill (built in 2002 I think) for some 6 years now. Initially I was using it with the software that came with it but sometime in 2019 I converted it to Mach3 parallel controller board. That was basically a game changer. Unfortunately just two weeks ago the old computer that used to interface the mill died, I was forced to upgrade the parallel controller board to Mach3 USB. The new board I got is Chinese BitSensor. The initial set up was a breeze without any hiccup; all x,y,z motors configured w/ incremental steps properly calibrated, all limit switches correctly configured with ref homing working like a magic once again, and the spindle turns on and off just fine... except the spindle speed seems to be fixed to the max speed and I can't seem to change it by spindle command. I didn't have this problem with Mach3 parallel controller board.

I opened up EE box, measured a voltage between "4: COM" and "1: +10" on the Sprint 400 board and I am getting 0.6-0.9VDC. Shouldn't this reference be at 10V? Also the voltage between "AVM" and "AVI" on the Mach3 USB board as I cycle through various spindle speeds remains at around 1V and hardly ever changes.

As far as the connection between Sprint 400 and the Mach3 USB board goes, "+10", "MIN", "I/P" at Sprint 400 board are connected to "10v", "AVM", "AVI". And I am also driving SGR relay with Output3 on Mach3 USB board which is how I am controlling Spindle On/Off (this is working as expected). Hope this is enough information. Any ideas what is going on? Thanks in advance.