Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Shuswap_pat
Hardware/Software: Denford Senior / Junior Milling Machine

Denford / Junior Milling Machine

Post by Shuswap_pat » Wed 23 Oct , 2019 0:54 am

I am in B.C. Canada, and just acquired a Denford Senior/ Junior Milling machine
IMG_4574.JPG
IMG_4574.JPG (318.49 KiB) Viewed 9094 times
The S/N is EO 2952, and Dispatch date is Oct 1986.
First - I am looking for a manual & drawings. Second it has a collet stuck in the vertical spindle, so what it the taper, and how do I remove it. I backed off the retaining stud, and gave it a rap with the hammer, but it did not move. Any ideas.

Thanks

Patrick
Attachments
Machine Information.JPG
Machine Information.JPG (360.25 KiB) Viewed 9094 times
IMG_4573.JPG
IMG_4573.JPG (315.7 KiB) Viewed 9094 times
IMG_4572.JPG
IMG_4572.JPG (288.08 KiB) Viewed 9094 times

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Re: Denford / Junior Milling Machine

Post by Andy B » Wed 23 Oct , 2019 8:02 am

Hi (Pat?)
Welcome to the forum.
That's quite a rare mill you have.
Second question first - Its a No2 Morse Taper fitting in the vertical head. They do get very stuck if they've been in there for a while, especially if the drawbar has been tightened more than necessary.
It'll likely need more than a 'rap'
Make sure your drawbar has plenty of engagement to avoid damaging the threads, then a good blow with a 2lb copper mallet should hopefully do the trick.
If not it may need some wedges between the chuck body and the vertical head to help it.

I thought the manual was on here somewhere, but I can't see it right now. I'll dig it out.

Andy

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Post by Andy B » Wed 23 Oct , 2019 9:54 am

I knew there was a manual on here somewhere.
It's here - viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2070&hilit=senior+manual

Andy

Shuswap_pat

Post by Shuswap_pat » Wed 23 Oct , 2019 19:07 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Andy - I will get a bigger hammer! I alway want to check first. My machine is a bit different than the manual you linked me to. The motor on mine is in the lower cabinet. The serial number is EO 2951, Dispatched Oct 1986, if that helps.

Pat

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Andy B » Wed 23 Oct , 2019 21:28 pm

Shuswap_pat wrote:
Wed 23 Oct , 2019 19:07 pm
My machine is a bit different than the manual you linked me to. The motor on mine is in the lower cabinet.
Pat
Pat,
I've not yet seen any evidence that there were any more specific manuals for the different TS machines.
The introduction does state:
"This Instruction Manual has been prepared as a guide to the users of the 'SENIOR' range of precision milling machines and attachments. It is not intended as an exhaustive treatise on the subject and should not be taken to constitute a specification."
In the list of machines that follows next, there are several that are not covered in all aspects by the descriptions, diagrams and drawings.

Is there anything in particular about the operation or maintenance that you're after?

Andy

Shuswap_pat

Post by Shuswap_pat » Wed 23 Oct , 2019 21:47 pm

The lower belt seems to be too long, so I wanted to see what the correct length should be. Also - I have to pull the table, saddle and knee, because there is stiffness and binding. I also may need to get a new cross feed nut - I will find out when it comes apart.

Pat