Help with Viceroy Lathe

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

MediaMan
Hardware/Software: Vicroy TDS 1 PL GB

Help with Viceroy Lathe

Post by MediaMan » Fri 11 Feb , 2022 15:13 pm

Hi All
Please be gentle its my first time here, I have a Viceroy TDS Lathe, and i am replacing the variator that was fitted, but i have allways had a slight runout when turning a straight peice of metal, i have notice four large nuts above the motor holding the haed stock assy and presume these are for adjusting the head stock??, can any one give me advise on how to adjust run out.

Thanks

Roy

rpwilson
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: None. I own a pre CNC Denford 280 Synchro lathe.

Re: Help with Viceroy Lathe

Post by rpwilson » Fri 11 Feb , 2022 16:36 pm

Sorry, what do you mean by 'runout'?. Its normally a phrase used to describe the amount a piece of work runs out of true when held in a 3 jaw chuck or collet. No 3 jaw is going to do much better than 0.003" runout, anything up to about 0.005" is generally held to be acceptable. If you need better than this, then use the 4 jaw. Headstock alignment has no effect on this problem at all.

If this isn't what you mean, do you mean that the lathe 'turns taper', in other words the diameter of the workpiece varies depending how far away from the chuck the tool is. If this is the case, theres lots of reasons why that happens. As far as I know, the 4 bolts you speak of are for bolting the headstock to the bed and can't be used for adjusting headstock alignment

MediaMan
Hardware/Software: Vicroy TDS 1 PL GB

Post by MediaMan » Sat 12 Feb , 2022 15:43 pm

Thanks for the advise, the bolts that i am refering to are not tight aginst the body, and seem to be some sort of adjustment nuts?,as the have secondary lock nut's but i understand that the runout when turning is fine useing your measurments.

Thanks

Roy

dazz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1/1GB lathe, Imperial, stripped down and rebuilt.
Viceroy Taper/Tracer attachment, Shop made cross slide tracer attachment, VSD.

Post by dazz » Mon 04 Jul , 2022 10:27 am

Hi
Post some photos.
Regards

Dazz