Considering replacing intermediate countershaft Viceroy TDS 1/2 PCS

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Pzy
Hardware/Software: Denford Viceroy TDS1/2P.C.S Metric
Ajax AJ8 horizontal milling machine
Q&S 6H power hacksaw

Considering replacing intermediate countershaft Viceroy TDS 1/2 PCS

Post by Pzy » Sat 13 Mar , 2021 1:15 am

I have a fairly standard setup - 3 phase Hoover motor (1425 RPM), VFD and countershaft.

I am considering replacing the motor with a spare 1 HP 8-pole (680 RPM) motor and ditching the intermediate countershaft.

Issues to consider are the length of a single belt, spindle speed, and torque.

This is currently "under consideration" and I would be interested to know if anyone has done a similar conversion. I am in no way committed to the idea or suggesting it would be a good thing. I'm attracted to the idea of using fixed pulleys, making full use of the VFD and backgear where necessary.

The background to considering this move stems from long-running problems I have encountered with the intermediate pulley adjustment and consequent belt slippage. I have posted about this before (the adjusters were locked up, even though care had been taken to keep the pulley shaft horizontal) and I now have the countershaft and adjusters stripped down for repair/replacement.

If eventually I decide to keep the countershaft it will be in a slightly modified form to make adjustment easier. The existing adjusters are difficult to use (slotted heads - I would prefer hex or a socket) and vulnerable to binding up during adjustment.

richardb
Hardware/Software: TDS1GB

Re: Considering replacing intermediate countershaft Viceroy TDS 1/2 PCS

Post by richardb » Sat 13 Mar , 2021 18:02 pm

If you decide to keep the countershaft you may find the later adjustment system easier ? its on drawing ML100/600.
My lathe is one of the last of the TDS models and has this arrangement.
Basically the countershaft is milled such that it has two flats at each end - which is then forked to allow a fixed stud to pass through. nuts and washers top and bottom allow the adjustment.
Still tricky getting in there to adjust but may be easier ?

I can't currently find the drawing in the lists available on this site, so I have attached a scan of the basic idea (sorry its not the best of scans - my scanner only does A4). If you need a better scan I could do it in two bits.

Richard B.
Attachments
TDS Countershaft.pdf
(539.81 KiB) Downloaded 360 times

Pzy
Hardware/Software: Denford Viceroy TDS1/2P.C.S Metric
Ajax AJ8 horizontal milling machine
Q&S 6H power hacksaw

Re: Considering replacing intermediate countershaft Viceroy TDS 1/2 PCS

Post by Pzy » Tue 06 Apr , 2021 22:06 pm

Richard,

Sorry for being so incredibly slow to reply. The original countershaft adjusters gave me some problems (as they have always done, since I purchased this machine second hand) and when I dismantled the countershaft assembly I found those "milled flats" looked more like they had be filed vaguely flat by a trainee on his first day. I made a "temporary fix" by removing the adjusters and replacing them with screws, nuts and washers and have found this so effective I haven't changed it since. It is now something like your scan. I expect it will be like this for a while yet and I've decided against removing the countershaft due to the effect this would have on available torque.

Thank you for your help.