Viceroy vertical slide ?

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

richardb
Hardware/Software: TDS1GB

Viceroy vertical slide ?

Post by richardb » Thu 28 Jan , 2021 15:30 pm

I have this vertical slide which came with my lathe - it has a vice and small table which attaches via a dovetail spigot. It also has a register spigot that sits in the topslide tool holder tee slot.

Does it look like a Denford item ?

The problem I have with it is the slide is very difficult to use as if the gibs are adjusted for one position they are too tight/slack for another - its not worn in fact its had little use (I know the lathe history from new - I purchased off original owner).
Not being a tool maker I dont really know how to approach what I guess needs scraping of the surfaces ?

I will dismantle it and clean it out first and see if i can identify any high spots.

Any suggestions welcomed.
Attachments
IMG_0674.JPG
IMG_0674.JPG (71.56 KiB) Viewed 6715 times
IMG_0673.JPG
IMG_0673.JPG (78.81 KiB) Viewed 6715 times

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Re: Viceroy vertical slide ?

Post by Andy B » Tue 09 Feb , 2021 11:21 am

Sorry for late reply.
Yes, it does look like a genuine (and rare!) Denford item.
I've posted some drawings for you to check here - http://www.denfordata.com/bb/viewtopic. ... 497#p24497.

Andy

richardb
Hardware/Software: TDS1GB

Post by richardb » Tue 09 Feb , 2021 23:17 pm

Once again Andy many thanks for the drawings - really useful.

I've had a go at stripping and cleaning mine up and its much better than it was.

Looking at the drawing you uploaded mine appears to be slightly different - I've attached a mark up.

I have the two screws on one side of the dovetail to take the Gib adjusters and on the other side a single screw on centre that has a grub screw which pushes a brass insert peg into the slide - would this be a locking screw to secure the slide when at required height ?

The drawing also has the drillings for the two grub screws/sliding pegs at 20deg to secure the vice/mini milling table which I have.

There are also two additional holes just below centre on the drawing noted as 'Drill no 51 mark off from collar' do you know what these are ? I don't have them. There appears to have been some alteration to the drawing as previous is rubbed out !
Also on the lower section it notes 2 .375 dia rollers ? what are they ?

Sorry for all the questions !

Thanks,

Richard.
Attachments
vertical slide.pdf
(906.41 KiB) Downloaded 344 times

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Post by Andy B » Wed 10 Feb , 2021 7:56 am

Richard,
I can't answer all of your questions immediately, but one is easy.

The 2 x 0.375" rollers are referring to gauge pins used to measure the width of the dovetails - a standard way of measuring them both internal and external. They are not part of the finished machined casting.

Andy