Viceroy gear box

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Artysmarty
Hardware/Software: Denfird viceroy lathe

Viceroy gear box

Post by Artysmarty » Tue 10 Dec , 2019 19:20 pm

Hi all
Finally took the plunge and removed my gearbox front cover.
The route cause of my problem was immediately visible and was the right hand tumbler carrier part no ML115/910A was shattered in 3 different parts and the tumbler shaft was lying on the bottom of the gearbox.
I have finally managed to get a new tumbler carrier made and have refitted it into the gearbox which necessitated the removal of the gear selector handle and gear wheel.
Now the tricky bit is realigning the selector handle gear wheel with the left hand tumbler carrier part no. ML115/910b so that when I select any gear (5 thro1) then the tumbler gear ML115/911 engages deep enough with its respective gear on the gear train.
Now I have a conundrum the metric gearbox (mine) has five positions but the gear train has 6 ^gear wheels from 16T up to 32T as per attached file of drawing ML115/900B. Does any body on the forum know which gear is position 1. Logic tells me it is the 16T gear but then I am stymied as to what function the 32T gear does as it is not selectable. Also by the same context if you use the 20T wheel as position 1 then the 32T wheel is selectable but the 16T isnt.
^ "Just the same in an English gearbox which has eight selections but the gear train has 9 Wheels"
Hope I have explained this clearly. Any help appreciated
Art
Attachments
ML115_900B.pdf
(76.25 KiB) Downloaded 419 times