Denford viceroy saddle removal

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Artysmarty
Hardware/Software: Denfird viceroy lathe

Denford viceroy saddle removal

Post by Artysmarty » Tue 24 Sep , 2019 19:20 pm

Hi all
I am a retired engineer but this is my first Foray into model engineering. To this end I have purchased a Viceroy 1.1 5inch metal lathe which is being delivered in a few days. My problem starts then, in getting it down to my garden shed due to its weight.

I need to split the lathe from the cabinet which is straight forward and then need to remove the saddle and apron. My Q. is can I do this in one fell swoop or do I need to split them as well.
any info as to how to go about it would be greatly appreciated.

Art

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Re: Denford viceroy saddle removal

Post by TDIPower » Tue 24 Sep , 2019 21:19 pm

When the guys come to service the Harrison M300 at work they wind the saddle off the end of the bed, I did this too when I was transporting my Boxford TUD, there is a little L shaped bracket on the underside of the TUD bed to stop it being wound off or the tale stock being slid off the end.
I just had to unbolt that, slide the tail stock off then the saddle wound most of the way off and just need a bit of a tug for the last bit.

Not sure if the viceroy has the motor mounted in the base, i just had to split the belt on a link and then i could unbolt the bed and lift it off. Looking back at this memory I do not know how the hell I did that on my own and put it in the back of the Landrover, then did the same with the base/stand, then got it out and carried it into my garage! I must have had a lot of wheatabix and shredded wheat that day!! I was 19yrs younger and fitter though.

Pete

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Tue 24 Sep , 2019 21:23 pm

Just had a thought when I moved house 6yrs ago I discovered 4 holes in the base just under the bed/tray. These it turns out are for putting 2 bars through so 4 folks can lift and carry it, one each corner, that's how it went on the removals wagon. Didn't even bother splitting it for that.

Artysmarty
Hardware/Software: Denfird viceroy lathe

Post by Artysmarty » Tue 24 Sep , 2019 21:47 pm

Pete
Thanks for your input its much appreciated.
Art