Installing a TDS 1/1GB

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

ASJ

Installing a TDS 1/1GB

Post by ASJ » Sun 09 Oct , 2016 8:25 am

Hello, I am in the process of moving my TDS 1/1 GB lathe to a new workshop and wanted a little more advice than can be found in the manual, on the topic of installation and levelling. I am ashamed to say I did not bother in its previous site and just sat the machine on some wooden batters at each end of the cabinet, but this time I would like to do it correctly. My question is should I use machine levelling feet in the 3 bolt down holes, and if so what size should I go for? Some people say it raises the machine CofG and makes it unstable, others say not! The floor is concrete and fairly even but not even enough to sit it straight on the ground.
Secondly how are the bed twist adjustment screws intended to be used if necessary. I know they are effectively a witworth stud passing through the centre of a hollow bolt, the stud threaded into the bed and the bolt into the cabinet, but which one are you supposed to tweek to level the bed, the inner stud or the outer bolt?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Alex
Alex

Twoberth

Re: Installing a TDS 1/1GB

Post by Twoberth » Thu 13 Oct , 2016 19:12 pm

Hello Alex,
Regarding bed leveling, the thick hollow bolts thread upwards through the threaded cabinet holes and push up on the Dowty spat washers which sit on top of the cabinet holes. Screwing the bolts in (upwards) lifts the washers and the lathe bed. The thinner studs go through the holes in the bolts and the washers and screw into the lathe bed. By tightening the nuts on the bottom of the studs you tighten the lathe down onto the washers on top of the thick bolts.

So basically the bolts level the lathe bed and the studs secure it down on the washers.
The rubber Dowty washers I got from Travis Perkins.

Hope this helps
Duncan (aka Twoberth)

ASJ

Post by ASJ » Sun 16 Oct , 2016 22:21 pm

Perfect explanation!
Thanks Duncan
Alex

robwizard

Post by robwizard » Thu 27 Oct , 2016 23:40 pm

@Twoberth that is amazing information! I have been trying to figure this all out for ages! Would there be any chance of you posting some pictures to accompany your description? Specifically of the fixings attaching the lathe to the cabinet?

Many thanks,

Rob.

Twoberth

Post by Twoberth » Thu 03 Nov , 2016 9:56 am

Hello,
Attached photos.
I only inherited one levelling fixture, so I made the others by drilling out some bolts (5/8th WHIT) making the studs and buying the Dowty washers.

Hope this helps, Duncan
Attachments
Scan0023 (1024x745).jpg
Scan0023 (1024x745).jpg (84.37 KiB) Viewed 7174 times
studs.JPG
studs.JPG (32.83 KiB) Viewed 7174 times
stud.JPG
stud.JPG (32.57 KiB) Viewed 7174 times

Artysmarty
Hardware/Software: Denfird viceroy lathe

Post by Artysmarty » Tue 24 Sep , 2019 20:08 pm

Hi Duncan(twobert). Great explanation and solves my problem in splitting the lathe from the cabinet.

Just one request what is the A/F dimension of the large hex bolt?

Regards

Art