Viceroy 280 synchro drive pulley help

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Viceroy 280 synchro drive pulley help

Post by Pete. » Thu 08 Jan , 2009 0:03 am

Hi.

I have just bought this machine and I need some info on how to re-set the motor drive-pulley onto the motor shaft. The pulley has shifted and the key is out of the keyway and rotated around. I expect the pulley is fixed by a taper of some sort but I am at a loss to work out how to release it. Here's a couple of pics.

Pete
Attachments
280synchropulley01.jpg
280synchropulley01.jpg (87.03 KiB) Viewed 5275 times
280synchropulley02.jpg
280synchropulley02.jpg (85.01 KiB) Viewed 5275 times

Andycnc

release

Post by Andycnc » Thu 08 Jan , 2009 10:39 am

I'd probably make up a simple 'puller'. Flat strip of steel (say 10mm or thicker), drill 2 holes to allow you to bolt it to what look like threaded holes in the pulley retainer, and a larger threaded hole in the center (bigger the better). You could weld a big nut here if you haven't got a large tap.
screw a bolt into this hole and it should press on the motor shaft forcing the pulley off.

hope this helps
Andy
Last edited by Andycnc on Thu 08 Jan , 2009 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
25 years as Electronics design Engineer, cnc machines used for manufacture of prototypes. Have Boxford 240tcl and 260vmc, Denford starmill, used to have an Orac. All converted to run Mach3. Happy to try to help with any tech issues.

Andycnc

addendum

Post by Andycnc » Thu 08 Jan , 2009 10:42 am

if you find that even with the bolt as tight as you can get it the thing still wont shift, you may need to shock the pulley.

A few ways to do this (with varying risk of damage).
Heat the pulley.
Tap the pulley sharply and try not to damage it!
Use a tapered ball-joint splittter tool between motor and pulley.
25 years as Electronics design Engineer, cnc machines used for manufacture of prototypes. Have Boxford 240tcl and 260vmc, Denford starmill, used to have an Orac. All converted to run Mach3. Happy to try to help with any tech issues.

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Post by Andy B » Thu 08 Jan , 2009 12:03 pm

You need drawing SL100/100 - maybe Admin can oblige with a scan or photo of it.
Unfortunately I recently lost my memory stick with all my electronic copies of my Denford data :cry: - so I'll have to give what help I can from memory.

Have you managed to take all the tension out of the belt?
On my 280VS, I did this by putting a couple of g-clamps either side of the top pulley, and gradually tightening them as you pull the belt round by hand. This allows the motor pulley to expand to its maximum position.
I'm sure there is no taper-lock, but I can't remember how it is held now - its a couple of years since I had mine apart.

You might find this link useful: http://www.lenze.com/downloadbereich/en ... 502_EN.PDF

Andy

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Another link for Simplabelt pullies

Post by Andy B » Thu 08 Jan , 2009 12:12 pm

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Pete. » Fri 09 Jan , 2009 20:07 pm

Cheers all for the suggestions - I'll let you know how I get on.

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Pete. » Sat 10 Jan , 2009 10:42 am

Got it all done now thanks for the help. It was a simple slide-on fit on the shaft and held with a bolt & cap-washer as shown in the wadkin manual. The retaining bolt I found in the bottom of the machine, the pulley had slid along the shaft and spun when the key had cleared the keyway causing the shaft to gall a bit and making the pulley stuck. I pulled it off with a 2-legged puller and the adjuster started working just fine. The shaft is galled a bit but the pulley has no damage.

Thx again

Pete.