All info relating to the Denford Turn270 and NewTurn270 CNC lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

RnD Tech
Hardware/Software: Denford 270 Turn
Boxford VMCi 300
Fusion360

All the gear no idea

Post by RnD Tech » Tue 21 Apr , 2020 13:16 pm

I was just wondering if there is a Technical wizard close to Newport Wales who could help a techno numpty get his machine up and running?
Either now keeping at safe distance or once the restrictions connected to the pandemic is lifted.
I have a hardly used Pro Turn and all the software off Denford. I am just lacking the confidence to get going.
Happy to ensure your not out of pocket and plenty if tea coffee and hobnobs availble.

Dave

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Re: All the gear no idea

Post by TDIPower » Tue 21 Apr , 2020 21:27 pm

Hi Sorry no where near you but willing to try remote help, Ive not run a turn 270 and I only have quickturn 2d design and VR Turning.
I have been around denford machines for 20yrs mostly the milling machines BUT do have a DOS controlled lathe that I hope to finish a conversion to the VR software.

Give me a shout if that of any help

Pete

RnD Tech
Boxford VMCi 300
Fusion360

Post by RnD Tech » Thu 23 Apr , 2020 13:36 pm

Hi Pete,
Thanks this is all a steep learning curve form me. The last Denford i used and programmed was a TriAc in the early 90s.
OK The issue i have today (There will be many) is my Auto tool changer is stuck in the X+ Maximum position, I am unsure how i move the tool changer back to its "Home position.

BR
Dave

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Fri 24 Apr , 2020 22:45 pm

when you fire up the machine and load up the VR software, the 1st thing it should do is 'home' all the travels so it knows where it is.

Can you post up which software you have, as I'm not familiar with the machine a pic of the machine, Ill see what I can do to help

Pete

RnD Tech
Boxford VMCi 300
Fusion360

Post by RnD Tech » Tue 28 Apr , 2020 15:39 pm

Hi Pete, Sorry its taken so long to reply but I have tried everything possible (I believe) to fix the issue.... With no joy.
OK I will start at the beginning and give you as much detail as I can I am not sure is I can attach pictures but will cross the bridge when I come to it.
1. The Machine is a Denford New Turn on model plate NS has been scratched on 2009 I was sold the machine based on hardly been used and looking at it mint as they come. The machine has a 8 tool indexable head and a tail stock (Not fitted and with original oily wax still on the quill.
The turret has the original tooling as supplied by Denford in the correct location order as per the manual.
(I was told by NS = Auto tool changer).
As the machine was an ex school / University machine it was supplied with no software. I purchased the latest software from Denford direct
VR CNC Turning Ver 1.51 & Quick Turn2D Design Ver 1.33 I installed the software onto my laptop and when asked to add machine I accidentally picked
New Turn MNS when I connected the machine to the laptop it did home but to the opposite side as for a manual tool post before I could hit the emergency stop the machine reached its X 0 Z 0 position and here is where the machine is stuck.

I have tried to tell the machine its a non turret machine by changing the parameters for tool post from 1 to 0 which would mean the position it is stuck in would be the correct home position and go into the JOG key and jog the machine back towards the centre of the machine but this also had no effect. I have reinstalled the software as a non turret machine and tried this too with no luck so now have run out of ideas to get to the correct home position.
******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
OK this is what I see when I start up the software.
1. Open VR Turning home screen opens with VR turning NEW TURN270NS in top right corner,
2. Switch on machine deep clunk in the machine followed by click and light comes on followed by auto clock click door can open. fan is running.
3.Click machine button Machine control pop up window appears, Home Tab blue, Work offsets X0 Z0 Feed 100 Speed 500 Tool 1 offset None.
X Axis and Z Axis both have a red outline around them Blue ring rotating as the machine is running but even leaving the machine over night this ring is constant,
I have tried the secret jog by clicking bottom right corner of Z Axis Tab with blue ring rotating this makes the both the X Axis and Z Axis outline turn green, I can now click the Jog tab and the tab opens green Blue ring still rotating. I can press the direction arrows and nothing happens.
Pull hair out and sinking feeling returns.
I am unable to show in pictures but if you could email /PM I will send as many as possible.

Any help would be most apricated in wet Wales.

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Tue 28 Apr , 2020 23:52 pm

Ok, I bought the same software But don't have a machine to run it with (well do but just need to wire it all up as in the whole control side) Don't forget you can download the latest version of the software from the web site as you may find updates too.

The good thing is the boards are the same in all the machines (ish) so the way they work is the same. I might run up VR turning and see if i can tell it my Microrouter is actually a Turn270 and see what happens....

So you know about the 'secret home' that's good. the blue spinning rings is that the 'windows timer' like it is waiting for a response?

Can you get to the lead screws? just wondering if you can manually wind the things to a more central point. With the power on you should not be able to turn the lead screws as the motors should be powered up and probably a little warm to touch after 10mins. So you will need to power down and then wind the screws, but it would be a good test to see the motors are holding location. I think your ATC will have a stepper motor on it too, I'm pretty sure you can't turn that even with no power as it is worm driven.

Have you looked in the control box, checked the fuses with a meter not just visual (I had a fuse fail in a machine but it looked fine to the eye). http://www.denfordata.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=3722

Can you see/get to the home switches? if so press them a couple of times. If you do that when you are on the home tab the red box should turn green on the X Y axis in relation to which one you are pressing.

When you are on the Jog tab,
have you got the job speed turned up? make sure it's not in step mode (arrow should be pointing left in a straight line under the Jog speed indicator, if it is stepped click on the arrow to toggle)
Where it says spindle speed, click on the picture of the chuck with the green arrow, it should fire up the chuck so make sure all is safe and the door close. You should be able to adjust the spindle speed by then clicking on the 'knob and sliding' or in the speed box, typing in a number and hitting enter.

The spinning blue 'timer' is bugging me. I'm thinking a fuse may have gone for the stepper drive so its not homing, There should be a fuse on the Nextmove base card, there looks to be several on the board with the relays (looking at the NewTurn270 PDF, but I'm not sure which version you have)

RnD Tech
Boxford VMCi 300
Fusion360

Post by RnD Tech » Sat 28 Nov , 2020 17:13 pm

They say "time waits for no man" what a year from the time of my original post life has been a roller coaster of disasters from Family illness, Covid 19 and redundancy 2020 has been a crazy year. It's now time to pull the covers off my machines and get my project back on track. The machines are as per above a Denford 270 New Turn and a Boxford VMCi300 up and running and also get to grips with Fusion 360 which I believe has also had some changes in the last few months.

So after a few horrendous few months, I am back :lolol:

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Sun 29 Nov , 2020 18:40 pm

good stuff, I still haven't converted my lathe from DOS to VR turning. It's still going to be a good while before i get on to that.

Pete

RnD Tech
Boxford VMCi 300
Fusion360

Post by RnD Tech » Wed 02 Dec , 2020 14:30 pm

Hi Pete,
Its funny how we plan to do things and weeks turn into months and they sit there gathering dust. My wife pointed out the new light in the spare bedroom has been sat in the wardrobe for nearly two years................ Its also on my list.
OK I reloaded the software on a new (to me) laptop and connected it it to the machine. Power on and clunk however now the auto lock stays locked and the machine freezes on the homing cycle with the infamous blue revolving circle :twisted:
Have contacted Denford via email and awaiting reply.
Looks like more grey hair pulling ahead.

RnD Tech
Boxford VMCi 300
Fusion360

Post by RnD Tech » Tue 29 Dec , 2020 23:11 pm

OK I have an issue when I fire up the machine it won't let the autolock release the door. I have checked the 7 visible fuses and all are OK.
I notice a slight darkening on one of the relay switches could this prevent the door opening. Any help would be appreciated 🙏
Attachments
20201229_155223.jpg
20201229_155223.jpg (192.45 KiB) Viewed 15965 times

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Fri 01 Jan , 2021 1:07 am

Hi, sorry i didn't pick up on your earlier post so here is me with the 1st post of 2021, as it has just tipped midnight and here is how 2021 is probably going to roll (one day the same is as the next). You have the a later board than i have come into contact with, I have seen them but not looked at. I think Steve or Graham are the ones that would be able to help.

Pete

RnD Tech
Boxford VMCi 300
Fusion360

Post by RnD Tech » Fri 01 Jan , 2021 20:22 pm

Hi Pete, Happy New Year,
Let's hope this new one is an improvement on the last one. Thanks for the reply, I am hoping I can fix the issues by distanced support and learn how the machine works at the same time. As a last resort, I will ask Denford to send an engineer out (If they do this to a residential location?) of bite the bullet and pallet the machine up and send it to them to fix and service. Both the later will depend on costs as redundancy and Christmas has sapped my funds.
Will wait a week before I contact Denford.

Regards
Dave

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Fri 01 Jan , 2021 20:33 pm

How are you on electronics and a multimeter? looks like the diagrams are here... http://www.denfordata.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=3722

Pete

RnD Tech
Boxford VMCi 300
Fusion360

Post by RnD Tech » Wed 20 Jan , 2021 19:26 pm

Will have a go this weekend have a guy how is going to go through the basics with me tonight so hopefully I can track down the issue or fault.
Just to get me going on the board at the top left hand side there is a yellow led number 2 is the normal ?

RnD Tech
Boxford VMCi 300
Fusion360

Post by RnD Tech » Wed 20 Jan , 2021 19:30 pm

16111673601536024696156193098310.jpg
16111673601536024696156193098310.jpg (724.29 KiB) Viewed 15624 times

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Wed 20 Jan , 2021 23:17 pm

the numbers are actually letters. There is a list somewhere on the forum to 'decode' what it is saying, Took me ages to understand the 'numbers' it was flashing up at me once was E 5 t 0 P, or E Stop, meaning the emergence stop was pressed!

Not sure is this is valid on the later boards but I think it will be http://www.denfordata.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3167

Now looking back through your problem and that display code looks like the E stop is pressed, if it is seeing that you can't open the door. So it looks like there is an issue on the E stop or have you gone and knocked the button and not released it?

Pete

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Thu 21 Jan , 2021 13:06 pm

The NextStep card display is different

http://www.denfordata.com/bb/download/file.php?id=2228

The door will only unlock when power is supplied to the machine & the Emergency Stop push button is released.

Can you confrm if the Emergency Stop is released.

RnD Tech
Boxford VMCi 300
Fusion360

Post by RnD Tech » Thu 28 Jan , 2021 21:12 pm

Hi Martin Yes the EStop was released. After a few hours of checking different items, we found a lack of power going to the EStop.
The company I purchased the machine has collected to the machine today and have taken it back to sort out, As the machine was purchased without seeing it work that have done this all free and have offered a full refund should there be no way of fixing and displaying the machine in full working order.
So for the next few weeks its time to get the Boxford VMCi 300 up and running :lolol:

Thanks for the help Pete and Martin and be assured there will be more questions soon.

RnD Tech
Boxford VMCi 300
Fusion360

Post by RnD Tech » Mon 02 Aug , 2021 20:18 pm

Well after 16 months I now have both the Denford 270 (This went back to the factory and fixed) and the Boxford VMCi300 are connected to a laptop :D
Sadly not the one I was hoping too hook up to but I am happy to be able to move forward.

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Wed 11 Aug , 2021 8:42 am

Its great to have an update and glad you are moving forward.

Pete