triton tooling question

All info relating to the Denford Triton and Triton Pro milling machines. (Project Lead the Way)

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Rich
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

triton tooling question

Post by Rich » Fri 20 Apr , 2007 18:42 pm

Hello,
can you tell me what the spindle taper is on a triton pro miller, if you want to insert tools directly rather than use the easylock collet?
Thanks.

Triac whizz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Triac whizz » Fri 20 Apr , 2007 21:56 pm

Only having a Triac... but off the top of my head if it's a long skinny looking thing with a taper at the easylock end then it's R8 taper (see ebay) but if it's tapered all the way up then its BT30 on the later stuff as they (Denford) realised that if they used a smaller taper they could get 8 tools on a carousel whereas the Triac had BT35 and only 6 tools in the changer :(

This might help you decide http://www.timgoldstein.com/cad_cam/tap ... ange%20dwg
Self Catering Lodges in Central France with covered pool & large grounds
www.la-coterie.com

Rich
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Rich » Sat 21 Apr , 2007 16:54 pm

Thanks,
I think it must be bt30
Thanks for your help.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 23 Apr , 2007 12:03 pm

Just to confirm - it is BT30.

However, you may find that the current 12mm draw bar is too long (or too short :? ) by around 20mm -depending on the new BT30 holders you get.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 23 Apr , 2007 12:34 pm

This should help:

Triton tool holders / easychange / drawbar / BT30 differences:
Attachments
triton-toolchanger-bt30.jpg
triton-toolchanger-bt30.jpg (113.81 KiB) Viewed 21500 times

Triac whizz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Triac whizz » Mon 23 Apr , 2007 15:36 pm

Ah well, they look similar (in fact I believe that they are the same taper)

The easychange is a ISO 30 taper and the other as we decided is a BT30 meant, as we know for ATC stuff and the tapped hole is for the pull stud.

You're more likely to find s/h ISO 30 (INT30) than BT30.
and if you're lucky it'll be marked on the tooling somewhere..
www.la-coterie.com

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 23 Apr , 2007 15:43 pm

They are the same thing, I'm certainly no expert on tooling, but I think the variations of BT30 allow you to get ones with an extra threaded tube bit at the top or not - depending if you are fitting a pull stud or going direct into a draw bolt.

Triac whizz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Triac whizz » Mon 23 Apr , 2007 17:22 pm

I'm certainly no expert on tooling
ditto

but the BT30 tooling has a groove in it for the ATC to grab it, then there's MAS tooling I believe, the ATC groove being offset (probably other differences as well..)

anyway, I'm starting to split hairs now :roll:
www.la-coterie.com

Rich
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

re toolholders

Post by Rich » Thu 26 Apr , 2007 13:50 pm

Thanks for all the help,The reason I wanted to know is just because the easy change reduces the workable z distance as I want to use a decent vice but I am restricted as to the height I can use.

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 26 Apr , 2007 14:49 pm

You will also find that the machine cuts better without the EasyChange - its just a bit of a pain to change tools

audio.fi
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Re: triton tooling question

Post by audio.fi » Tue 24 Nov , 2009 14:49 pm

Hi,

I am having a similar problem with my novamill. It has an "easy change" tool holder, but I want to use a small vice so would like to remove the holder and use something else.

However, I am getting increasingly confused as to what taper is in it. I have a single page advertising sheet that came with the machine when I got it, and it states that the taper in the quill is "iso30" and the taper of the atc holders is "bt30".

Having looked at the jpeg further up this thread, showing the easy change and normal holders, have I got this right that the atc part of the easy change tool holder can simply be fitted directly into the quill, having removed the main easy change part from the quill ? I realise that the draw bar would need to be replaced (the thread in the atc holders are M8), but is this o.k. (i.e. rigid and safe / correct) to use it this way, as it would save a lot of money, because it came with collets to use up to 10mm end mills.

Thanks for any help you can give on this.

Also, does anyone know how to lock the rotation of the quill to make positive tightening and loosening of the draw bar possible ?

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Thu 26 Nov , 2009 10:27 am

Hi,

The spindle taper in the Novamill, Triton and Triac is ISO 30 and will take BT 30 tooling.

As standard (non toolchanger) an Easychange toolholder is fitted to the spindle secured with a Drawbolt. Then Easychange holders are used.

If a toolchanger is fitted the easychange is removed, Pull studs are fitted to the top of the BT 30 toolhulders and a spring loaded locking system is fitted that pulls the tool up using the pull stud. These normally use a phneumatic cylinder or intensifier to compress the spring stack and release the tool.

It is possible however to just remove the Easychange and use a drawbar to hold BT30 toolholders in the spindle.

To tighten and release the tool a spanner is used on the top of the spindle and a C spanner holds the tool.

audio.fi
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by audio.fi » Thu 26 Nov , 2009 14:14 pm

Steve wrote:To tighten and release the tool a spanner is used on the top of the spindle and a C spanner holds the tool.
Thank for the help. Please can you tell me what a " c spanner" is, and can U buy them for this tooling.

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Thu 26 Nov , 2009 14:32 pm

Attachments
RS 665 9958.jpg
RS 665 9958.jpg (5.76 KiB) Viewed 20047 times

audio.fi
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by audio.fi » Thu 26 Nov , 2009 14:58 pm

Thanks very much and especially for the link.