Starturn 5 Electrical Drawings

All info relating to the Denford StarTurn CNC lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Starturn 5 Electrical Drawings

Post by bradders » Mon 04 Dec , 2006 11:29 am

Starturn 5 Electrical Drawings (Note ? You have to be logged in to download)
Attachments
Starturn 5 Electrical Drawings.zip
(380.48 KiB) Downloaded 1108 times

davidimurray
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by davidimurray » Tue 05 Dec , 2006 10:30 am

Out of interest - what is a starturn 5 -never heard of that one!

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 05 Dec , 2006 10:35 am

Your not the only one !

Because the drawings are fairly new - I'm guessing its the short-lived predecessor to the NovaTurn

BTW, I have alos just found a machine sticker for a StarTurn 12 :!:

davidimurray
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by davidimurray » Tue 05 Dec , 2006 11:15 am

Would this happen to be a Starturn 5 ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Denford-Starturn- ... dZViewItem

Sorry about the length of the link :P

Starturn 12 - now that sounds interesting!!!!

Cheers

Dave

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 05 Dec , 2006 11:20 am

Just for prosperity I have "nicked" the picture off ebay...

It certainly looks like it was JUST about to change into a Novaturn - the turret is the same -just the electronics were getting out of date.
Attachments
starturn-pc.jpg
starturn-pc.jpg (64.57 KiB) Viewed 16939 times
starturn-pc-turret.jpg
starturn-pc-turret.jpg (54.62 KiB) Viewed 16940 times

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Re: Starturn 5 Electrical Drawings

Post by TDIPower » Tue 06 Dec , 2016 21:46 pm

Would there be any options available to upgrade the electronics from DOS control to windows so I could run VR Turning? I bought the latest version of Quickturn the other year and am just getting a little frustrated with DOS control in ability to do threading cycles without manual editing of the G code.

Pete

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Sun 04 Mar , 2018 19:07 pm

Just going to 'bump' my previous post. Given the thought it the ST5 was just before the Novaturn. would there be any 'old boards' knocking about at denford that I could buy so I would enable me to run VR turning?
With the denstep/nextstep type board is the only difference between the Mill and turn boards the eprom? If I were able to get hold of a board even from a mill would denford be able to supply a Novaturn eprom (I could probably send in an eprom if you still have ability to program them)?
Given I have bought QT2D I would really like to be able to just get the machine up and running without messing about with DOS any longer, I would need to buy VRturning too.

Any support on this would be really appreciated.

Pete

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Mon 05 Mar , 2018 18:48 pm

Hi Pete

Can you post a picture of the control please.

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Mon 05 Mar , 2018 21:23 pm

Hi Martin,

Link to the post when I got the machine with pics, the main board is the GSM-Syntel LCB3 www.denfordata.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4538

I did upload all the manuals too (great big A4 folder) I was able to scan to PDFs on the photocopier.
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4778

Fortunately it includes some data on the stepper specs.

I would like to bring it upto a spec that will run a version of VR turning. From what I have read the ST5 is very close to the Novaturn, so I would look to rewiring it following the Novaturn information. (the areas that have got me thinking at the moment are the ATC and spindle encoder for threading though). I know I could go down the route of Mach 3 but would like to explore the possibility of keeping it Denford 1st

Many thanks

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Tue 06 Mar , 2018 19:53 pm

Hi Pete

We are not able to upgrade any machines fitted with GSM Syntel LCB3 boards.

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Wed 07 Mar , 2018 20:36 pm

Hi Martin, drove past your place today, just spotted it from the motorway, thought about calling in! (I last visited many moons ago ~17yrs!)

I'm not after an 'official' upgrade, It is a job I would undertake myself. I was more after a do you think a newer style board with novaturn eprom would drive the steppers?
given the output to the spindle speed controller is 1-10v I would have thought that would work (same speed control was used in the micromill wasn't it?).
The home limit switches just trigger inputs, I'm used to them from the Micromills and Microrouters, so should work.

I would be able to do some config on machine parameters within VR turning re max spindle speed travel etc (provided it is a similar setup to the way it is possible to modify machine limits within VR milling).

The only areas I can think of there being issues at this moment are
PSUs
ATC grey code feedback to board
Spindle encoder for speed and threading.

I haven't even started to compare Novaturn to StarTurn 5 drawings yet but though I would ask if a suitable board would be available new or second hand, after an upgrade for someone else.

As I say I bought the Quickturn 2D not that long ago so would rather keep things as a 'denford' set up rather than having to go down the Mach 3 reconfig route.

I know with anything like this you may be tied on advice you can give. I'm not after holding accountability, finger wagging 'you said' just more of a- no way will it ever, it might do, or there is a good chance if you know what you are doing (dont have a life and spend hours in the garage).

If you 'unofficially' think it could work which boards 'may' do the job and if I could get hold of a board from a mill could I buy a novaturn eprom? Bearing in mind I do not currently own any version of VR Turning I don't know it that limits the board options unless an older version the VR licence would still be available?

Really appreciate you opinions on this so i can would out which direction to focus my limited time on.

Many thanks

Pete

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Thu 08 Mar , 2018 13:57 pm

Yes you should of called in. We are very close to Junction 25 of the M62 now.

You would just need a standard version 2.1 eprom.

I think you would also need 12volt relays for the toolchanger binary sensors. We used the same toolpost on the Novaturn so the logic is all there.

Does your machine have an encoder or does it use the 2 sensors looking at the disc on the rear of the spindle? This may be a sticking problem.

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Thu 08 Mar , 2018 23:36 pm

Wish I had called in now, I would love to have a look at the new kit, chat about F1 stuff for school and my plans. Would it be possible during the Easter break?

I popped the cover off when I got home, looks like I have a proper british encoder, I couldn't read the full label but looked to say 733 DEN. It reminded me of a post I had read a while ago. I had a search for the about the encoder on here and pulled up some nice info.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3029&p=10871&hilit ... der#p10871

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=3515&hilit=british+encoder

Re the control boards. I get mixed up a bit, could you outline the different boards and which would probably be sutable to run with code from QT2D.
As I understand it there is the drive board with the heatsinks and drive IC's for the steppers and then the control board which plugs in on the 96pin connector.
Are all the drive boards the same and then the control boards swapable as upgrades.

Thanks again

Pete

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Fri 09 Mar , 2018 22:22 pm

I would have to check with our software department which controls work with QuickTurn 2D but obviously the current NextMove card does. It has USB connectivity & 3 stepper drives inbuilt. It does consist of a base board & top board but is supplied as one.

It's good news you have a B>E.C. encoder.

We close on the Thursday for Easter so have Good Friday - Easter Monday & also the Tuesday off so back in on the Wednesday if you are around. Just let me know first & & I will see who else is around.