Warning idiot with cnc

All info relating to the Denford StarTurn CNC lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Kai

Warning idiot with cnc

Post by Kai » Thu 30 Sep , 2010 12:37 pm

Hello all yes you read the title right.

A vary nice man is selling me a starturn lathe that is being converted to use mach 3.

I have no machine experiance so can anyone point me to some nice reading material please?

or even pass on some points of wisdom to me please.

To make things more interesting I am also getting a starmill from the same man.
so if you can think of anything else for me to read up on please point me in the right direction.

Many thanks for anything you pass on to me

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: Warning idiot with cnc

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 30 Sep , 2010 16:15 pm

Hi and good luck with your machines.
For a start I've moved the Starturn manuals from the download section into here, I'll do that for the starmill as well.
What operating software do they have with them ? DOS / IBM, BBC or Apple ?

Kai

Post by Kai » Thu 30 Sep , 2010 23:13 pm

All I know is that it is on an xp pc wih mach 3 running on it.
Is there any questions I need to ask regaurding this ?

I am at college one night a week learning cnc to a level 2 city&guilds we cover milling and lathe work.
The only thing I am not sure about is that we use alphacam at college so i will have to learn how to convert wha I learn there to mach 3.

Thats why I was asking for guidence as to what to read to give me a better grounding in this.

I have always wanted to learn this stuff and now I am having a mid life crisis and being made redundent why the hell not lol.
I have designed quiet a few little bits and pices for other people so now I get to make what i design and if I can I would like to be able to earn a modest income from it if I can but I think that will take time to get to that point.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 01 Oct , 2010 12:49 pm

Ok, if its Mach, then some members here also have converted Denford machines, but you really should join a Mach specific forum...