Please help juddering not homing

All info relating to the Denford Router 2600 and Pro CNC routers

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Wainecaplin
Hardware/Software: Microrouter v5 pro ns vr 2.19
Vr CNC milling 5.26

Please help juddering not homing

Post by Wainecaplin » Sun 16 Jun , 2019 11:42 am

Hi all I have a microrouter v5 and I'm having a problem I bought the machine the other day it was sold to me as faulty I'm trying to diagnose it but cant find much info it has a next step controller board I think and a separate 3 axis driver board my understanding is when you turn the machine on it should home bat all it does is try and move all the motors it's like they are not getting enough power I have checked a few bits but to no joy can anyone tell me how much power cones out to turn the motors I'll try and put some pictures up any help would be appreciated thanks
20190612_212338.jpg
20190612_212338.jpg (379.37 KiB) Viewed 13130 times
20190612_212341.jpg
20190612_212341.jpg (339.56 KiB) Viewed 13130 times
20190613_081047.jpg
20190613_081047.jpg (399.07 KiB) Viewed 13130 times

Wainecaplin
Vr CNC milling 5.26

Re: Please help juddering not homing

Post by Wainecaplin » Sun 16 Jun , 2019 12:01 pm

Also I've checked the ribbon cable that's fine and the motors areffine thanks

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Mon 17 Jun , 2019 21:04 pm

Hi,

You looked to have jumped straight in to electronic diagnosis but haven't made it clear what you have already done or proved not/OK.
Can you run through the following just so we can clear some things from the usual lists.

When you power up you need to connect to the machine via PC/VR5 and then click the home button in the software. The door needs to be closed.
All axis should move rapidly to the rear right corner and the router as high as it can go.
Have you tried clicking the home button on the software for each axis in turn?
Which direction are the motors trying to move (to or from the rear right top corner)?
Is it able to home at all/any speed?

One of the issues can be faulty home switches.
If you go for trying to Home X first on its own. In the homing sequence it should send the gantry across to the right rapidly, when it hits the stop switch it should then move slowly away from it until it is release. If it instead moves to the left slowly when you press the home X in VR5 and doesn't go to the right then it is a probable home switch issue.
The same goes for Y, should move to the back fast then slow away from the switch and Z fast up, slow down.

Post more up on these actions.

Cheers Pete

Wainecaplin
Vr CNC milling 5.26

Post by Wainecaplin » Tue 18 Jun , 2019 22:13 pm

Hi Pete iv not done much the guy I bought it from said when you first turn it on it should go strait to home iv tried to connect it to the computer but it won't connect a the moment I'm using an rs232 to usb but I think I'm going to buy an old computer to try this again I have a fully licensed vr cnc milling program it. What is happening is when turned on all the axis just judder and move very very slowly I was thinking of converting so I can use mach3 but there are so many options for controllers and drivers have you any recomendations thanks for replying I'm quiet new to this but I have an understanding and like getting my hands dirty

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Wed 19 Jun , 2019 8:39 am

Nothing should move on the machine until it's connected to VRMilling.

Does the green LED on the NextStep control card light up?

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Wed 19 Jun , 2019 18:31 pm

Hi, as Martin says (he knows a lot more than i do!) it should not move until it is talking to VR milling. So something is off there.

As a process of elimination I would do the following.

Don't hook up a PC yet, fire it up and you need to look at the top board and observe what the LEDs do and 7 Segment display.

Nothing should move, you should hear a clunk after a short period as the door lock opens to enable you to open the door.

If something is moving on power up, power it down and disconnect the ribbon cable from the top board to the drivers, that will give a better clue as to where is issue is coming from.

Feed back to us on that.

As for Mach 3, the denford software is really straight forward and the control boards are far better than the kind of thing most people will use for a conversion. Just check out the cost and specs of a the ABBmotion control stuff before you gut it, you have the software so at least run with it and see how it works.

Using USB to RS232 can/does work but can be problematic. If you are trying to run of a PC (not laptop) you will find if you pop the cover somewhere on the mother board there will be an RS232 port, you just need to get the breakout cable from the motherboard to a 9way which mounts in a rear slot. Another thing that always seems to be an issue is the pin out of the lead you have from PC to Router, there are many wiring configs (covered countless times on here) there is a diagram (see the table below) of a 9way to 9way which you use direct from the PC to the top board. But you need to sort out this moving issue first.

1 DCD nc 1 DCD
2 RD - 3 TD
3 TD - 2 RD
4 DTR - 6 DSR
5 GND - 5 GND
6 DSR - 4 DTR
7 RTS - 8 CTS
8 CTS - 7 RTS
9 RI nc 9 RI

Link to the RS232 motherboard lead. https://www.uk.insight.com/en-gb/produc ... rsQAvD_BwE.

Pete

Wainecaplin
Vr CNC milling 5.26

Post by Wainecaplin » Fri 28 Jun , 2019 7:21 am

Sorry for the late reply iv fixed it it was the main board luckily I found a used one on ebay for 35 and took a chance now it's working fine I use a rs232 converter and have no problems at all just got to get used to this denford software now it seems quiet easy can you guys recommend what animals I should be using I'm new to all this but want to definatly have a play around

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Fri 28 Jun , 2019 21:13 pm

So glad you got sorted.
If you open up VR milling, go to the help section, there is a tag for tutorials, well worth going through. I've been using the software for 17-18yrs and don't know it all! I know enough to get the kids projects running at work (always a time load pressure) so having my own machines now I get time to play at home and find out different ways of achieving goals (series of jigs to hold work on a bed). We had never used tool/project offsets until a month or so ago, one of the guys was fed up of having to set zeros for different projects, something clicked in my head (I had read about it at some point) and I was able to go over and show him how to set up project zeros.

Not sure what you mean by 'animals'.

Design software we use Fusion 360 for 3D work, there is also a Denford post processor available for it now. VR5 includes a DXF post processor, I use that a lot for 2.5D work.

Don't be worried about pushing these machines, if you have the feeds to fast you can wind them right back on the manual override if it starts to chatter, the display reports the program and actual speed so you can make a note and change your settings for the next run.

The common collet in these is a 1/4" 6.35mm used with router bits, you can get a 6mm so you can use milling bits (slot bits are better for plunge cuts than a router bit) also a 1/2" 12.7mm is available.

Re maintenance, keep an eye on the brushes in the router motor, keep the feed screws clean (make sure you get in between the runners and the angle aluminium), lube with silicone spray. its worth once in a while undoing the nuts that run on the feed screws (3 allen screws) just wind them out so you can clean them. If you start to miss steps or get binding on the travel that is normally what it is.

If you have the vacuum bed, there is a filter in the vacuum pump, worth a clean out and also the pipe between the pump and the bed area.

re running VR here is a little video using one of the denford test programs, I mod the feed speeds to suit the machines abilities. (its the compact not the microrouter but the same principle)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81ufnGRKTNM

Pete

Wainecaplin
Vr CNC milling 5.26

Post by Wainecaplin » Sat 27 Jul , 2019 13:48 pm

Hi Pete thank you so much for your Writeup up there. That is so much info you seem to know a lot the only thing I can't do at the moment is I'm trying to make stencil text I only have tech soft 2d design v2 and quick cam 2d design V2.6 and my vr milling v5 to presses I want to make stencils to spray paint though any ideas I do have fution 360 but not to sure how to do text on that

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Fri 09 Aug , 2019 12:03 pm

With techsoft 2D design, if you do the text in the font you want (you can add more fonts in the normal way to windows, these should be picked up by techsoft on next load up. (night be worth finding a sign font with the supports)
If you wanted to do engraving (V cutter on a single line rather than a character outline) select the 'techsoft fonts' there are some single line fonts in there.
What you need to do is when in the text options part of techsoft is change the fill settings to No Fill. this will leave you with a line path, save/export as DXF files, open within VR milling and tell it to cut inside the profile. (make sure you have set up your tools and material settings with in VR5, read the instructions for that)

Now that will not give you the supports for P, B, O, R etc. to add those you would need to 'explode' the text within techsoft, then add the supports and 'delete parts of lines' that are not required anymore.

Its stuff you could be shown in about 5mins but would take hours to type about.

Ive never used the Denford 2D design software so don't know about that.

Wainecaplin
Vr CNC milling 5.26

Post by Wainecaplin » Thu 15 Aug , 2019 20:57 pm

Thanks for that I know what you saying it's easy to show but a pain to try and text instructions I'll have a look at it with the fonts can I add them you said I can iv never added fonts to windows so would not know I might try and youtube it I'm just trying to think of what to use to hold the material down the vacuume works good but have you any other ideas as to what to put down so I can cut though

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Fri 16 Aug , 2019 23:18 pm

if you have the vacuum bed then a sacrificial 6mm sheet of MDF on top then your material the vacuum will apparently hold the material down as the MDf is porous enough to enable this to happen. We use 18mm either clamped to the X travel aluminum rails or on the vacuum bed, then several strips of double sided sticky tape to hold the job down. If you are doing a lot on same sized work then you could either fix a piece of 18mm to the machine and get it to machine cut outs for stock sizes to drop into or build a jig outside the machine to drop in

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Thu 22 Aug , 2019 11:15 am

Copy the font you require in the directory below.

C:\Windows\Fonts

Download the zipped font and unzip it then copy it into the directory.

When you restart 2D Design the font will appear.
Attachments
STENCIL.zip
(30.8 KiB) Downloaded 402 times