ORAC CNC failed to connect to PC using R232 Cable

All info relating to the Denford ORAC CNC lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Samer

ORAC CNC failed to connect to PC using R232 Cable

Post by Samer » Tue 05 Dec , 2006 18:46 pm

Dear colleagues,

I have ORAC CNC (1989) with DOS software (1998). the graphical simulation ( software) works but the PC does not get the programs from the ORAC abd vice-versa.
I have 3 options for this software , 1 - on screen tutorial. 2- desktop tutorial. and a third option but i do not know which one should i use to download my program to CNC ?
I have observed that when i choose any option and i choose SIMULATE then EXPORT ---> i receive the same DOS form in which i can predd F10 and choose to transmitt or receive programs from or to CNC but i got a message on CNC display that says transmission completed and the software did not receive it . I do not know where is the problem ? ( i have adjusted the BAUD Rate to 2400 ( machine and software) !
ALso , can i use Lathe Cam Designer with this old machine , does this software offers a serial interface R232 between the PC and CNC ?

davidimurray
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by davidimurray » Tue 05 Dec , 2006 19:03 pm

Doesn't sound like the software we use for our machine - try the Orac software here instead

http://www.denfordata.com/downloads/dos ... FTWARE.zip

Cheers

Dave

bigbear

Post by bigbear » Wed 06 Dec , 2006 0:30 am

I just posted the software for the older Orac's (1984 and older) you may give that a try. I can say if it will work or not.

Adam
Orac TDS/O/R/CNC
S/N 32155

Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Mr Magoo » Wed 06 Dec , 2006 4:04 am

I Agree with David. I dpn't think the software you mention is from Denford but rather some 3rd party stuff.

Try the Denford stuff mentioned eariler.

Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Mr Magoo » Thu 07 Dec , 2006 20:06 pm

Hi Samer...

You've also asked me about Lathe Cam Designer linking to the Orac.

A Post Processor is available that translates Lathe Cam designs into Orac CNC code as a file on your hard disc (with a file extension of .ORA). I don't think this post processor was part of the usual install and may be a chargable add-on so you'll have to get on to the Denford guys.

The "SEND.BAT" file can then be used to send this Orac cnc file to the machine via RS232 port COM1 at 2400 baud. Edit the BAT file if you want to change the port and baud rate.

steveb

Post by steveb » Sat 23 Dec , 2006 13:57 pm

http://www.denfordata.com/downloads/dos ... FTWARE.zip

Just had a look at the serial wiring arrangement for PC to Orac.
Can anyone explain the 'looping' of the pins 2,3 and 7 from pin 1 in the diagram. Does it mean pin 1 is to 'ground'?

Thanks in anticipation.

Steve

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 28 Dec , 2006 20:34 pm

I was a bit confused for a moment - linking 2 to 3 would mean linking the transmit (TX) and recieve (RX) lines together :(

After looking at the dwg I think what you're referring to is the shield symbol - the dotted loop goes around the wires 2,3,7 - meaning that the braided shield goes around those wires, and then the end is soldered to pin 1 (normally then going to the metal case / frame ground)

PS- make sure the other links are made, eg pin 4 to 5 - as this will effect reliability of comms

steveb

Post by steveb » Fri 29 Dec , 2006 10:36 am

Denford Admin wrote:I was a bit confused for a moment - linking 2 to 3 would mean linking the transmit (TX) and recieve (RX) lines together :(

After looking at the dwg I think what you're referring to is the shield symbol - the dotted loop goes around the wires 2,3,7 - meaning that the braided shield goes around those wires, and then the end is soldered to pin 1 (normally then going to the metal case / frame ground)

PS- make sure the other links are made, eg pin 4 to 5 - as this will effect reliability of comms
OK thanks for that.
One more question if you can help.
I am actually trying to connect the Orac to a Psion 3c which has a 9 pin RS232 connector. Looking at the wiring diagram am I right in thinking that
pin 2 on the Orac should go to pin 3 on the Psion connector and pin 3 on the Orac should go to pin 2 and pin 7 to pin 5?

Thanks

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 29 Dec , 2006 21:50 pm

pin 2 on the Orac should go to pin 3 on the Psion connector and pin 3 on the Orac should go to pin 2 and pin 7 to pin 5
Sounds about right , although I don't know if the Psion is standard 9-way layout.
If it is then it would be:

Code: Select all

9 Way   ->      (Orac) 25 Way
3 (TX)   ->      2 (TX)
2 (RX)   ->      3 (RX)
5 (GND) ->      7 (GND)
Because TX is connected to TX and RX to RX, I'm guessing the Orac swaps them inside the machine - as a normal RS232 cable would connect TX of one device to the RX of the other

steveb

Post by steveb » Sat 30 Dec , 2006 16:15 pm

Again thanks for the info.

Well I've tried everything but no go, all I'm getting is garbage coming out.

Studying the manual further (Section 33 P99) it mentions a 'Terminal Strip' for Auxillary Inputs and Outputs.
Is this something that needs to be configured before the RS232 port functions correctly?

steveb

Post by steveb » Sat 30 Dec , 2006 16:24 pm

Again thanks for the info.

Well I've tried everything but no go, all I'm getting is garbage coming out.

Studying the manual further (Section 33 P99) it mentions a 'Terminal Strip' for Auxillary Inputs and Outputs.
Is this something that needs to be configured before the RS232 port functions correctly?

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Sun 31 Dec , 2006 0:11 am

a 'Terminal Strip' for Auxillary Inputs and Outputs.
- I wouldn't think so - if you are getting anything through at all, then it would suggest the TX and RX are connected OK - you just need to setup the PSION to the correct baud rate, number of data bits, stop bits and parity (before you ask - I don't know what they should be - or whether it can be configured on the Orac :wink: )

Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Mr Magoo » Sun 31 Dec , 2006 22:55 pm

A couple more snippets of info...

- The Auxilliary Inputs & outputs are Digital In / Relay outputs and nothing to do with RS232 communications so ignore these!

- The RS232 parameters are
8 Data Bits
1 Stop Bit
No Parity

I'd suggest trying at the slowest (300) baud with the above parameters as this is least likely to cause timing problems. Garbage coming through may indicate...
- Wrong BaudRate, Parity or Data bits.
- Grounding problem or electrical noise (does the Psion have seperate 'Ground' or '0v' or 'Chassis' pins on it's RS232 port? If so try connecting them together)
- timing issues (the Orac is sending characters faster than the Psion can accept them - possible if the Psion program is written in a BASIC interpretter language or similar)