Finally upgraded my Orac

All info relating to the Denford ORAC CNC lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

EVguru

Finally upgraded my Orac

Post by EVguru » Fri 13 Jan , 2017 12:49 pm

It had been in storage for six years, but a work project justified dragging it out.

http://youtu.be/eN3a7OW2F38

Upgrade parts;

WEG CFW100 1hp VFD + CFW100-IOAR interface module

Wantai DQ680MA stepper drives using original PSU components,

Generic breakout board

I added a piece of stripboard with a pair of opto isolators to give forward and reverse spindle commands, rather than using the relay, which will now probably get used for air blast coolant.

The PC motherboard ended up being mounted directly onto the chassis with panel mounts for USB, Ethernet, etc.

EVguru

Re: Finally upgraded my Orac

Post by EVguru » Fri 13 Jan , 2017 12:59 pm

Test cut of an eliptical path;

http://youtu.be/AemfoOhKOdo

triac
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by triac » Fri 20 Jan , 2017 21:28 pm

Hi Paul
Looks good Paul, see you have listed some bits used , any chance of further details of connections made between the new and original parts of the control circuit, something that will suit someone with less experience.
Some more cct detail would help also with the stripboard and opto isolators details used for reversing would be a help.
Full schematic would be most appreciated.

Cant find DQ680 drivers but DQ860 are listed but they seem like an overkill on max current, did you type the numbers transposed ?

Thanks, Emgee

EVguru

Post by EVguru » Sun 22 Jan , 2017 13:08 pm

There really aren't any remaining parts of the original control electronics. I've really only re-used the main toroidal transformer, bridge rectifiers and smoothing capacitors.

You're probably right on the stepper driver number. I chose it mostly on it's voltage rating as my Orac stepper supply measured around 68VDC and there aren't many 80V rated drives with lower current ratings. In any case, the phase windings are connected in parallel, so the currents are reasonably high.

I will at some stage have to produce a schematic, but I'm still ironing out some details with interlocks etc.