All info relating to the Denford ORAC CNC lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

DavidB
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Triac, Orac

Orac auto toolchanger dismantling

Post by DavidB » Sun 20 Sep , 2015 21:59 pm

I've recently acquired an Orac auto toolchanger and it looks to have been disassembled and not put back together fully, lots of loose screws. It seems a mechanically simple device to disassemble and reassemble but I was wondering if there are any gotchas. I removed the rear plate and the centre screw holding the rear disc in place but it didn't want to move and I didn't want to force it so I was wondering if the rear disc grey code plate is located positively or whether its orientation needs to be marked for correct alignment on reassembly. Maybe it is like the front toolholder and needs a few taps to remove. The main idea is the dismantle, clean out old dried grease, regrease and reassemble.

DavidB
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Triac, Orac

Re: Orac auto toolchanger dismantling

Post by DavidB » Wed 06 Apr , 2016 17:22 pm

I'll have to answer my own question now that I know the answer, the code wheel is not positively located just a snug fit and no gotchas.

I stripped the toolchanger and cleaned it of old dried congealed grease and fettled a few bits like the pawl which was burred, it looks to have done some work but I can't ever imagine wearing out the main internal parts. I replaced the 7205 and 6200 bearings and added new grease and adjusted, all seemed good but it didn't work when plugged in. I checked the inputs and outputs and all seemed right so pulled the motor and it ran but not well. On loading the output shaft it didn't feel right and on cleaning and inspection the gearbox was badly worn and when back driven from the output shaft it locked in one direction so much motor power was lost in the gearbox. I found a vendor on ebay selling what seemed to be the correct box, listed as used but no evidence of usage, it arrived last week and as stated it appeared unused and when modified for the drive pin and fitted all sprang to life and I now have a working tool changer. That gearbox is known for being a weak point in the design as I understand it but it works now and the ebay ones are £15 each so I ordered a spare just in case for the future. The only difference noted in the new gearbox is the first 2 gears are plastic whereas in the original only the first one is, I'm sure it'll be fine

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Wed 06 Apr , 2016 19:36 pm

Well done David.

I must have missed your original post but thanks for the information.

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Tue 06 Dec , 2016 22:06 pm

I believe this is the same box using in the Starturn 5, I posted up about mine failing, I sourced a new one from either CPC or Rapid, I can't remember which, its all in post in the starter section though.

Pete