Orac RS232 almost a problem??

All info relating to the Denford ORAC CNC lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

weegee

Orac RS232 almost a problem??

Post by weegee » Sat 23 Sep , 2006 4:05 am

Hi

I have written a template converter/nc creator for the orac to use with EDGECam, and all is good, the code generated works perfect, if i enter it manually into the the ORAC, but fails to work when i send it via the serial port.

The setup is fine, and i can both send and recieve files to the ORAC over the serial cable.

I believe that the problem is the control characters, in the manual im sure it said that a program has to start with a control character, then each block starts, and ends with a control character, then the program ends with a control character.

I no longer have the manual for the orac, so can anyone tell me what control characters i need to use, i believe they are STX RS EOF and something else, but the orac rejects the program, so if someone could fill in the blanks that be great.

Once i have it sussed, if anyone else uses edgecam, then feel free to pm me and i'll send you the template (for use at your own risk)

On a side not, as soon as i have my ORAC's sorted, i need to make the converter for the Triac, and i have never had a manual for this, or even seen one, so if anyone has a copy of that, or could scan it or whatever, id greatly appreciate it.

Regards

Graham

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 29 Sep , 2006 9:15 am

See this topic about the industrial text editor, try communicating with this instead.
http://denfordata.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=256

There are also some parts of the Orac manual scanned in on here somewhere, which are related to communcations.

davidimurray
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by davidimurray » Fri 29 Sep , 2006 9:31 am

Hi Graham

I have some old Orac manuals kicking about at home which I think have the comms protocol in there - I will try and have a look over the weekend.

Have you got your post to work in the Do-loop format? I looked at creating an Orac post for Mastercam but decided against it due to the limitation of only being able to download 99 lines (pages).

Cheers

Dave

davidimurray
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by davidimurray » Sat 30 Sep , 2006 11:13 am

I think this is what your looking for?

Cheers

Dave
Attachments
Orac 100.JPG
Orac Manual P100
Orac 100.JPG (84.26 KiB) Viewed 6039 times
Orac 101.JPG
Orac Manual P101
Orac 101.JPG (46.75 KiB) Viewed 6039 times
Orac 102.JPG
Orac Manual P102
Orac 102.JPG (45.56 KiB) Viewed 6039 times

Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Mr Magoo » Wed 18 Oct , 2006 12:46 pm

I've just found an old batch file that I used to use to send programs produced in Lathe Cam Designer down to the Orac.

Two example CNC files also attached that include the necessary control codes at the start/end of program/pages etc. which is what you were looking for :!:

ORAC.ORA is for a pre-1985 orac (machines without graphics)
ORAC85.ORA is for machines built after this (with graphics)

SEND.BAT is the batch file.

Hope this helps

:shock:
Attachments
ORAC85.zip
Example ORAC program files, along with a BATCH file that can be used to send them to the orac
(2.17 KiB) Downloaded 646 times