Orac Spindle VFD

All info relating to the Denford ORAC CNC lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

jamesfung
Hardware/Software: Orac

Orac Spindle VFD

Post by jamesfung » Sat 03 Sep , 2011 5:59 am

Hi All, I am a new owner to an old Orac lathe, I intended to refit the controller to Mach3 and need help on the Spindle VFD.

The machine came with a big KEB VFD as shown in the attached photo, does anyone have the wiring and configuration details on this device? I searched through the posts seems the one I have is a different type to the typical. I also wonder this VFD accept what kind of signals, will it work with Mach3 PWM or 0-10V?

If necessary to change the VFD, what type of VFD shall I get to work with the spindle motor?

Thanks a lot for any help!!

Cheers, James
Attachments
DSCN2859.jpg
DSCN2859.jpg (104.38 KiB) Viewed 7097 times

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: .....
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Re: Orac Spindle VFD

Post by angel-tech » Sat 03 Sep , 2011 15:18 pm

It should work fine with a 0-10v feed, for wiring connections have a look at the Mirac schematic. I'm fairly sure this inverter is used in the Mirac.

jamesfung

Post by jamesfung » Wed 14 Sep , 2011 7:17 am

angel-tech wrote:It should work fine with a 0-10v feed, for wiring connections have a look at the Mirac schematic. I'm fairly sure this inverter is used in the Mirac.
Thanks angel-tech! I searched all the KEB Combivert here and the net found no information, seems the one I got is different perhaps it is the oldest model (older then F0). Anyway, I have tried to connect it with 0-10V to REF and COM, and combination of COM, 5V, 12V, open to F. The motor just doesn't move at all, there are no voltage at UVW, but there are some voltage from the motor when I turn the spindle, so I think the motor is still good, just the inverter needed attention. However there is a 16 pots switch on the inverter, but couldn't find any information on it, or I should use another VFD.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 14 Sep , 2011 9:56 am

Dosn't the PCB silkscreen give you a clue as to the terminals ?
Can you take a close up of the right hand terminal block... there may be an enable or run input required - you will probably find a vref,com and speed command input which you could wire up to a potentiometer for testing

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Post by angel-tech » Wed 14 Sep , 2011 10:09 am

To start the spindle you need to connect the drive enable and supply the drive with a 0-10v signal. Did you find the Mirac schematics.?

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Post by angel-tech » Wed 14 Sep , 2011 10:13 am

jamesfung

Post by jamesfung » Fri 16 Sep , 2011 6:04 am

Thanks Admin and Angel-tech! The attached photo is the right side terminals, the labels are very clear, the wiring was connected to PC1951 with REF, COM and F three wires only. I did try connect the CRF, REF, COM with a 10K pot, and also tried REF, COM to power supply (0-10V), together with F connect to COM, open, +12V etc., none of these connection give any voltage to the UVW motor output.
However, to the left of the terminals is a 16 ways selector, there may be wrong setting of this switch, but after many time search on the net still unable to find the instruction of this Combivert model.
Attachments
2011-09-06 15.23.24.jpg
2011-09-06 15.23.24.jpg (82.1 KiB) Viewed 7025 times

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 16 Sep , 2011 9:04 am

This page from another KEB drive shows two ways of wiring the inputs - with an external supply or using the internal.

The terminal names look similar - at least you can see how the pot should be wired - I'm not sure about the F and R inputs...at a guess there will be voltage on FRQ which can be switched to F or R to run forward or reverse. FLT could be an internal relay which switches on error / zero speed etc.. depending on setup.
I'd also guess that the 16 way switch will be a mode/setup selector so you really could do with finding some info on that :?
Attachments
KEB-Speed-Input-Terminals.jpg
KEB-Speed-Input-Terminals.jpg (85.26 KiB) Viewed 7024 times

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Post by angel-tech » Fri 16 Sep , 2011 10:07 am

ok to test this, connect crf to ref, and f to 0v, that should give you full speed.

For Mach3 use you connect a 0-10v (probably isolated) feed to com and ref, and use a relay to connect f to 0v for the enable.