Cassettes for Orac

All info relating to the Denford ORAC CNC lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

candle

Cassettes for Orac

Post by candle » Tue 16 May , 2006 23:01 pm

I have an Orac manufactured in sept. 1983.
Since I have problems with setting up communication via RS232 I am looking for cassettes for storing of programs.
Does anyone know where to buy such minicassettes?
Owner of Denford Orac lathe from 1983

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 18 May , 2006 10:09 am

Aren't they just dictaphone type micro-cassettes :?: Like these on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-Pack-Micro-Cass ... dZViewItem

Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Mr Magoo » Thu 18 May , 2006 18:11 pm

I remember some people occasionally managed to get dictaphone cassettes working on the old Orac (and Triac) machines but the true Data cassettes always worked much better. I guess they handled the higher frequencies better or something?

Perhaps you could try different brands and go for the good quality ones to see if you have any success.

I remember that the Oracs and Triacs used different makes of cassette too, and they were not interchangable (Orac cassettes were a little wider than the ones used on the Triac if I remember correctly)

XJ5373

Sourcing Tapes

Post by XJ5373 » Tue 04 Jul , 2006 19:51 pm

Hi,
I have found a source of tapes for for the Denford Easimill. From what I have picked up here and there it seems that there might be more to these tapes than meets the eye in terms of features built into the tapes, reflective portions, holes etc, this might explain why some dictaphone tapes work and some don't.
The bad news is that they are expensive. I have purchased one tape and found that my tape drive is not working so I am going to have to explore the RS232 route.
The tapes are available from NEE controls (the manufacturer of the original control system) part number X01-37139 M180 Tape. Cost including post and packaging was a bit over £50.00 ouch!
I have been exploring other sources but so far no luck. Find NEE controls at www.neecontrols.com or phone 0044 (0) 191 487 5005.
Ian

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 10 Jul , 2006 23:01 pm

Just spotted this on ebay (10th July2006):

Tape drive and micro / mini cassettes from a Triac

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :B:SS:UK:1

beeman
Hardware/Software: vertical router and mirac lathe

Post by beeman » Thu 07 Aug , 2008 18:12 pm

does anyone have any tapes to fit a Denford Easiturn 3 to sell me or does anyone know what type they are and where they can be purchased, please. My mobile number is 07817 200279
jcf