Where are the Ball screws on Orac

All info relating to the Denford ORAC CNC lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

technokid

Where are the Ball screws on Orac

Post by technokid » Tue 03 Jul , 2007 22:32 pm

Hi
Can anyone help me - I have just purchased a 1988 Orac and thanks to the interesting posts on this site. I have got it working from my PC using the Denford Orac DOS software. I can communicate both ways and I have tried out some of the test pieces quite successfully. I have oiled and greased everything that I can see should be lubricated - however where do I find the Ball screws that it mentions in the manual? I cannot find a diagram of the lubrication points in the manual. Excuse my ignorance about this matter i am new to CNC lathes. Also does anyone know if i can get a set of the original cutting tools for the Orac. Mine came with two tool bits - one round nose and one knife edge - in the DOS simulation program it shows the different profiles of the cutting edges i wondered if they are still available or whether there is a similar set for a more modern machine that I could use.
Thanks again
:lol:

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 05 Jul , 2007 12:11 pm

Hi, I can't be exact as I don't know the machine, but you will find them hiding behind the slideway covers / bellows (if it had any ?)

The oiling point may be some place away from the nut, and fed by copper pipe (see photo of generic ballscrew and nut)

Try ebay for the lathe tooling and tool holders. Most things are standard size ranges, you just need to determine what size your Orac uses (I'm sure someone on here will be able to tell you precisely)
Attachments
Ballscrew.jpg
A ballscrew and nut !
Ballscrew.jpg (15.13 KiB) Viewed 3594 times