Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

seaman77
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: two Triacs one Orac.

x-axis on Orac losing direction

Post by seaman77 » Thu 28 Mar , 2013 21:19 pm

Hi everyone!

Tried to start my Orac this morning after SD2 drive repaired and tested and noticed new problem...X-axis losing direction.
Personally I do not consider myself as capable locating the faulty part or whatever may have caused this.
Both drives work fine with Z-axis. Does the sequence the green/red led's switch on/off , flickering has to do anything with it?

Any ideas gents of how to proceed?

Thanks!

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: x-axis on Orac losing direction

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 03 Apr , 2013 11:20 am

X-axis losing direction
Do you mean it is changing direction or losing position ?

If you connect the X axis output to the Z drive then moving the X axis from control works the Z motor OK ?

Given the age of this stuff, you really need to be looking for hard / broken wires, loose connectors/screws, corroded pins etc...

seaman77
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: two Triacs one Orac.

Post by seaman77 » Wed 03 Apr , 2013 23:29 pm

I mean the X-axis moves at random direction. The Z-axis works fine. Plugging-in the X-drive to the Z-axis again the Z runs fine responding to commands. It is not the drive now that causes the direction problem. I noticed for an instant the shaft starts rotating CW but before it completes a full 360 deg revolution, something like 1/4 of a turn reverses and runs the wrong direction. for as long i hold the arrow button pressed.
I think, I've read in the drive manual that it needs a 0Volt signal to be applied to pin 5 of the drive in order to reverse.
So, i need to check if this zero volt signal is present whenever i press the arrow button for reverse.

Thanks for the response

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Thu 04 Apr , 2013 7:15 am

It sounds more like you have a broken stepper motor wire. The motor connections are in the box behind the light so it may be worth checking inside.