Unable to set a positive offset value in the X axis.

All info relating to the Denford NovaTurn CNC lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Gcodeman
Hardware/Software: VR turn V1.45

Unable to set a positive offset value in the X axis.

Post by Gcodeman » Fri 17 Feb , 2017 18:52 pm

Hi. All. I bought my Novaturn before Christmas but I've have experienced some problems getting to grips with the 2D design side of the package, these are now resolved but now I've got a problem getting the X offset for T01 to behave itself, in all probability its something I'm doing wrong but I have been involved with CNC controls since the days of punch tape. I have a manual tool change Novaturn currently running VR Turn V1:43. I did have four tools set along with their offsets, but since I've encountered problems I only have T01 (RH rough/finish) and T07 (part) active. I'll go through the setting process and perhaps someone will spot the deliberate mistake.

Turn a diameter and measure, highlight offset T01 with red tick, select X, record turned diameter value, click OK, offset value appears in designated box. Save offsets in file VR Turn TOL.

When running a simple 2D Design CAD generated program T01 either cuts fresh air, dives off into the positive quadrant, or when it does cut metal it has taken the component 3mm under programed size.
Today when I switched the control on, the recorded value from yesterday for X was -122.7 (this had turned the component undersize) I reset the x offset using the same diameter that the machine turned yesterday and the recorded value was -157.4 I closed down the control and rebooted the computer. I then re-established the X offset which gave a value of -120.3 I repeated the process and the same value was recorded. I ran the first cycle of the program which turned the component 1.5mm over programed size. Flushed with success I set the offsets for T07 and saved them. I ran the program without T01, then put T07 in the tool post for parting and continued the program, I then had to press cycle pause otherwise T07 would have collided with the chuck, before this I've run the cycle dry without any of the current problems of T07 over shooting its programed position. I have no real idea if this is hardware or software related, but I hope someone may have had a similar experience and found a solution. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Unable to set a positive offset value in the X axis.

Post by Martin » Sun 19 Feb , 2017 0:48 am

You need to remove any offset values out of tool 1 & set it using the work piece offsets. Then set up the rest of the tools as normal missing tool 1. This way all the tools are relative to tool 1 & you only need to set the Z work piece offset to allow for a different length billet.

Gcodeman

Post by Gcodeman » Sun 19 Feb , 2017 10:58 am

Hi. Martin. Yes, all the tools offsets are set against T01 so for any future components the only offset that requires re-establishing would be T01. The problem I'm experiencing is establishing the T01 X offset, which records values ranging from -157 to -98 using the same turned diameter as its reference point, which is 10.75mm. Every time I set the X offset for T01 and run the 2D Design generated program T01 either cuts fresh air to the left of the component or dives into the positive quadrant, or on occasions it will cut metal but never to the programed diameter, this has been as much as 3mm below either way the X offset has to be re-established which records a totally different off set value than the previously recorded value which can be as much as 60mm. difference. I'm going to download a fresh version of VR Turn and see if its soft ware, but the 1.43 version I'm using was downloaded a couple of weeks ago and loaded onto a clean computer. Regards.

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Sun 19 Feb , 2017 22:40 pm

This sounds a bit like an issue I had with the Micromills in work. There is no feedback re position, once the travel has hit the home switches the machine knows where it is and just sends the info re number of steps, if for some reason it misses or gains a step then it will be that much out. The problem on the Micromill was I was trying to get things done to quickly, I had the travel speed set to high so it either wasn't able to ramp down in time or it missed steps. Does the novamill traverse at full speed when getting to the zero point and then change to program speed? Does it have override pots for spindle and traverse? Just check you aren't trying to run to fast.

just re read your post, when you said you ran a program in the air and it was fine but then when actually cutting (underload) then this might be causing it to loose steps hence the near collision.

Hope that helps.

Pete

Gcodeman

Post by Gcodeman » Mon 20 Feb , 2017 9:58 am

Hi. Pete. The main problem is not being able to set T01 offset with any degree of faith that it will record its true position, which might be software but I've got a nasty feeling it might be hardware, have to see what Martin thinks.

Gcodeman

Post by Gcodeman » Mon 20 Feb , 2017 16:16 pm

Here's where we are today. In an attempt to try and establish if my current problem with the wandering T01 offset values are software or hardware based I've tried installing the VR Turn version that was installed on the computer that came with the package, this is V1:45 This version still won't run as it tells me there isn't a mint file installed. I go into machine parameters and select the correct mint file, I also change the tool changer from ATC to manual, however when I click OK the changes do no register but revert to the settings that I previously attempted to edit. I have gone through this process several times rebooting the computer on each attempt, with the same end result. I then installed the downloaded V 1:47 When I try to run this it says there is no licence, but when I look in the VR Turn ini. file there is exactly the same full Flash code at the bottom of the page that appears in versions 1.43 and 1.45. The only control I can run on my machine is V1.43 so I'm now completely stuck with no way forward. I would greatly appreciate even the smallest bit of advice as to how to get this machine and control software running as it should. Thanks.

Gcodeman

Post by Gcodeman » Mon 20 Feb , 2017 18:53 pm

I've just tried to load and run VR Turn V 1:47 on my home computer and it doesn't like it. Do I need to get a licence disc from Denford in order to run VR Turn V1:47? The user licence that came with the package dates from 1997. Is the absence of an up to date licence part of my current list of control problems as its getting to a point where desperation isn't really worth the effort.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Tue 21 Feb , 2017 11:03 am

As far as I know all the VRTurning licences are forward compatible with newer versions so it should be fine.

I presume the licence you have is a SecKey.tff file & is installed in the VRTurning directory?

If you want to pm me the file I can check it is correct for you.

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but can you confirm what the control card is that you have fitted. I presume you have a DenStep with a red seven segment LED & a 2.0 or 2.1 Eprom fitted.