NovaTurn Servo retrofit AMD Gizmosphere iBOB2 PCIe x1

All info relating to the Denford NovaTurn CNC lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

mitip
Hardware/Software: Novaturn Vr turning

Re: NovaTurn Servo retrofit AMD Gizmosphere iBOB2 PCIe x1

Post by mitip » Mon 15 Aug , 2016 23:42 pm

Thanks, I had not got my head around what you are doing. If you have been everywhere for a decent small cnc lathe like I have I am impressed with the Novaturn and think what you have done very interesting. I restored a Boxford tlc 250 and tried to do a cheap breakout board conversion and failed. I then had a go at an Emco compact 5. In the end I thought it not worth the effort IMHO> The Novamilll toolchanger is just right, good stiff tools. and its construction is stiff enough to do most things if you cut slowly. What have you found?
Mine had a destroyed toolpost so I am awaiting a new worm drive and motor. I got gearbox and motor from ebay for £25, right reduction ratio, right voltage and right diameter. Might be wrong power or speed but we shall see. when thats done I will assess my options. Hence an idea of cost would help me think.
thanks

toby1995
Hardware/Software: Denford VR Milling
Bobcad V28 Mill/Turn CadCam software
Fanuc
Haas
Heidenhain
Inspect3D

Post by toby1995 » Mon 26 Sep , 2016 13:52 pm

Hi Iron Man,

for the kit, I would need all the motors and control system for them (and dumbed down instructions for dummies lol). basically I require everything it has taken to convert your machine to closed loop AC servos but for a Triac, I wont require any of the motor mounting equipment as I can machine them myself.

is it possible to reuse any of the old CNC system that came with the machine when it was made to keep the costs down? or will it require a complete change of all of the electronics?

if you want to contact me directly to discuss price and shipping, here is my email address:
toby.bayliss@ymail.com

thankyou

Iron-Man
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: Modified NovaTurn with Yaskawa AC Servos +-10V, PathPilot running on a GizmoSphere 1 with Ibob2 PCIE interface that I designed. Denford Triac to be modified with AC Servos.

Post by Iron-Man » Fri 18 Aug , 2017 18:33 pm

Hi all. I am still looking for a turret for the NovaTurn. I am in the process of adapting a EMCO turret. In addition I am looking at having the NovaTurn Turret manufactured from the drawings with changes. The changes will include a AC servo and absolute encoder.

I have been very busy on other projects. Please contact me if there is still interest in the system I have designed.

Thanks,

Iron-Man

Iron-Man
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: Modified NovaTurn with Yaskawa AC Servos +-10V, PathPilot running on a GizmoSphere 1 with Ibob2 PCIE interface that I designed. Denford Triac to be modified with AC Servos.

Post by Iron-Man » Mon 16 Apr , 2018 2:53 am

I started my conversion of a EMCO Tool Turret a few weeks ago.

EMCO Compact 55 Tool Changer modified with a AMT203 ABS Encoder with SPI interface.
ARM LPC1768.
The encoder interface is now working.
Denford NovaTurn AC Servo Lathe used to make new encoder adapter.
The set-up uses the existing tool changer board. I am in the process of designing new board to replace the EMCO, that will have its own motor driver.

Next step is PathPilot interface to MESA 7i77.

Iron-Man
Attachments
EMCO1.jpg
EMCO1.jpg (285.14 KiB) Viewed 8186 times
EMCO2.jpg
EMCO2.jpg (230.48 KiB) Viewed 8186 times
EMCO3.jpg
EMCO3.jpg (233.51 KiB) Viewed 8186 times
EMCO4.jpg
EMCO4.jpg (457.61 KiB) Viewed 8186 times

Iron-Man
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Iron-Man » Thu 05 Nov , 2020 2:29 am

A question to DENFORD

I have noticed that later models of the NovaTurn have a bed which allows different tools to be placed, as in this image:

My question is, can the flat bed of my older model lathe be interchanged with the one in the picture?

Thank you,

Iron-Man
Attachments
NovaTurn milled bed low res.jpg
NovaTurn milled bed low res.jpg (49.42 KiB) Viewed 6795 times

Iron-Man
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Iron-Man » Fri 28 Apr , 2023 16:55 pm

I have been working on a Decaussin back Turret for the NovaTurn. It is not attached.
Attachments
Decaussin Turret.jpg
Decaussin Turret.jpg (70.24 KiB) Viewed 3005 times