NovaTurn conversion to Gecko G540

All info relating to the Denford NovaTurn CNC lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Winnfield

NovaTurn conversion to Gecko G540

Post by Winnfield » Wed 05 Jun , 2013 7:19 am

I have recently purchased a new NovaTurn lathe that has not been used. It still has Cosmoline on it, and the controller came with it. My intention, originally, was to convert it from 240V to 120V and replace the controller with a G540.

After having done much reading here and elsewhere, I have surmised that I genuinely don't know what is the most appropriate route. Cost of the G540 is not an issue, as I already have it. I also have Eurocard 96 pin plugs and DB25 breakout boards on hand. I know I can make a cable to control the steppers as-is, but my concerns are with the limit/datum switches and the spindle drive.

1) Can I simply run 120VAC into the spindle drive? Since rectified and filtered 120VAC works out to about 160VDC, will it work to do this? If so, would I simply by-pass the spindle choke since it limits the output to 6A? I understand that there is a jumper on the spindle board, but will the drive output 140VDC with 120VAC in? Was this little lathe made to use 240V because it was manufactured in England? Or does it really need the higher voltage?

2) Can I use the Index Channel of the spindle resolver to send the index signal to a G540? Has anyone tried this?

3) Can I use the 0-10V signal from the G540 to control the spindle speed on the Sprint 1200 Drive? I can't see any reason why not, but I remember reading advice on this board to use a step/dir spindle control instead.

Thanks in advance!

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: NovaTurn conversion to Gecko G540

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 05 Jun , 2013 9:08 am

1) The Sprint will run from 110 or 240 (Supply select jumper)
2) Can't answer this
3) The Sprint 'manual' says that the drives are not isolated (DO NOT connect to earth or other low voltage) This means you will need an isolated analogue spindle output - maybe the G540 has one :? Isloated spindle outputs have been talked about many times on this forum

Winnfield

Re: NovaTurn conversion to Gecko G540

Post by Winnfield » Thu 06 Jun , 2013 16:16 pm

Thank you for the reply. I understand that the drive will run on 110vac, but will it produce the full range? Does everything else stay in place, including the filter and the spindle choke?