Problems with Novaturn spindle and toolpost

All info relating to the Denford NovaTurn CNC lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Zim

Problems with Novaturn spindle and toolpost

Post by Zim » Fri 18 Jul , 2008 17:19 pm

Apologies for the fact that I've also posted this in the VR turning section but I'm new to this forum, please see the following message, any help would be very much appreciated.

Hi there everyone,

I've just purchased a Novaturn and am having one or two problems getting it going properly. I wonder if anyone can give me suggestions of things to try.

Initially my PC (win98) didn't recognise the machine when I clicked on the icon but it now seems to be detecting it regularly.

The X and Z are running fine on the Novaturn but the spindle does not always start up when I use the M03 command. This problem has started to get better with more use so this may indicate a faulty connection issue.

I cannot get the tool changer to work at all, the tool changer moves to home when selected and just sits there until the command times out.

The Novaturn is ex-school and is in excellent condition having seen hardly any use, the gentleman I bought it from had purchased 4 recently and had seen them all operating fully, he wondered if a board or connection had come loose in transit.

Any suggestions of where to start faultfinding would be much appreciated as it looks like an excellent machine and I'd really like to get it running fully. it doesn't seem like it's too far away at the minute.

Garvock

Post by Garvock » Fri 18 Jul , 2008 21:13 pm

Hi,
Your spindle problems seem very similar to mine. Have a look at my previous post, should point you in the right direction.

regards
Keith

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Mon 21 Jul , 2008 8:32 am

Have you set the machine up in software to have an auto toolchanger?

Setup - Set machine parameters - password "denny" - toolchange set to 1.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 21 Jul , 2008 9:26 am

Some machines went out with a "personality disk" on a 3.5 floppy which configures your particular machine - have you got one ?
You would install this after installing VR Turning.

I'd also upgrade to the latest VR Turning which can be downloaded from here:
http://www.website.denford.ltd.uk/suppo ... -downloads

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 21 Jul , 2008 9:27 am

Martins reply from the other topic (now deleted)

Hi,

Does the motor on the toolpost vibrate (or get warm)?

If it does then try backing of the grub screws for the centre height.(the turret can jam when it locks).

If it does not then check the fuse on the toolpost control card inside the control box. I think the card is on the right hand side below the isolator.(The fuse is a 20mm glass fuse) though not sure of the amp`s. (guessing 3.15)

Zim

Post by Zim » Thu 24 Jul , 2008 16:47 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions, I run my own business so have only just found time to look at the Novaturn again.

I've upgraded the software to VRturn 1.19 on a higher spec PC and this seems to have cured the issue with the spindle turning. Only time will tell if it is fully cured but fingers crossed.

Martin, thank you very much for your comments on the toolpost, I can confirm that the toolpost motor does get quite hot. Could you explain in more detail exactly which grub screws we should back off to try to release the mechanism?

Many thanks again,

Clive

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Fri 25 Jul , 2008 0:38 am

There are normally 2 grub screws jus behind the face plate.( both have locking nuts). On the earlier machines there was only one fitted.

The other thing to do may be to remove the four screws holding the motor & gearbox to the aluminium body(the motor wires will pull out slightly) & try turning the shaft manually. It may be worth checking that the motor & gearbox both turn. It may be that the gear box is faulty.

Take a look at section 5 page 44 of the Novaturn manual. The grub screws are the ones that adjust the centre height.

http://www.denfordata.com/pdfs/machine- ... manual.pdf

Zim

Post by Zim » Wed 30 Jul , 2008 18:03 pm

Hi Martin,

I took the motor and gearbox off and I think the gearbox may be jammed as the motor is heating up and vibrating but the spigot doesn't turn. The only other unusual thing is that after taking off the motor and gearbox, the tool holder still doesn't rotate, even when I back off the grub screws. Is there a locking mechanism for this or should it rotate once I take off the motor & gearbox?

Thanks,

Clive

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Wed 30 Jul , 2008 18:35 pm

You should be able to turn the shaft manually by placing a large screwdriver down the shaft where the gear box locates. One way backs the toolpost up against the adjustment screws & the other will spin the turret paceplate. I am not sure which way is which. You should also be able to split the motor from the gearbox to check which item is faulty.

Zim

Post by Zim » Wed 06 Aug , 2008 16:22 pm

Just to let you know an update on my Novaturn.

I had a good go on the machine last week and found that the gearbox on the toolchange motor had completely seized. I bought a replacement from RS and have successfully modified it so it now works well (touch wood).

Thanks very much for all the helpful suggestions, I'll be spending the next few weeks getting to grips with G codes and the like.

As an aside, my Novaturn came witout any tooling, I didn't know if there is a list anywhere of a suggested toolset for standard machining tasks?

Also is it possible to retrofit a coolant system to a Novaturn? It would be a useful addition but I was concerned whether the electrics would be suitably protected.

Cheers again for everyone's help,

Clive

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Thu 07 Aug , 2008 9:23 am

Hi

You could retrofit an air mist system. This doesnot have the problems of flood coolant as the mist evaporates.

Tooling for the Novaturn is the same as the Turn 270.

Contact Sales at Denford.

Descriptions and code numbers are below as well as pricing (as a guide) which should be confirmed.

ADDITIONAL ITEMS
RH Turning Tool BI00863V £65.00
LH Turning Tool BI00863W £90.00
Set of 10 Carbide Tips (RH Turning) BI00864V £51.00
External Threading Tool BI00863F £90.00
Set of 10 Carbide Tips (Threading) BI00863R £152.00
Parting Off Toolholder BI00863A £74.00
Set of 10 Carbide Tips (Parting) BI00863Q £77.00
5mm Centre Drill BI00802Q £4.00
5mm Stub Drill BI00803E £2.00
Turret Bush - 5mm Bore TP121/05 £40.00
10mm Stub Drill BI00803J £8.00