All info relating to the Denford Novamill CNC Milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

flyingmike
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Spindle motor replacement

Post by flyingmike » Tue 30 Jan , 2024 9:41 am

Morning!
Has anyone replaced the spindle motor for an equivalent PMDC motor or even a brushless motor and had good results?

My spindle motor has now stopped working (after a lot of use so cant complain!). At first the motor was hunting then it refused to start in one direction, then twiddling the pot resulted in the workshop breaker being tripped so whatever was going wrong seems to be permanent now. I will investigate tonight but my fear is the motor as it looks a pain to get out. Things always go wrong when the workshop is busy!

I`m using a KBPB-225 controller and the original motor.

If the motor is dead then I may have a look at a brushless setup.

Regards

Mike

BDRetz
Hardware/Software: Novamill NS

Re: Spindle motor replacement

Post by BDRetz » Tue 30 Jan , 2024 22:53 pm

I have been tempted by the various brushless dc motors that are about NEMA 34 sized and claim to be 1 kw. My OEM spindle motor is still working so I haven’t jumped yet.
I put a 550W BLDC motor on a Sherline mill and it was awesome power and torque wise. Controlling it was not straightforward as it was designed for an industrial sewing machine. I am sure there is some magical circuit that works for software control but I never found it. I have found a couple BLDC motors on eBay that look like they are easier to control but they are three times the cost of what I used.
If you go the BLDC route please post your results.

Ben

triac
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Re: Spindle motor replacement

Post by triac » Sat 10 Feb , 2024 0:11 am

Did you locate another motor yet ?
I ask because I have a spare original motor from a Denford machine, not sure it is the same as you need though.
It runs very quitely and is smooth, 180v PMDC

Triac