Novamill Z travel

All info relating to the Denford Novamill CNC Milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

knova
Hardware/Software: Non-ATC Novamill

Novamill Z travel

Post by knova » Tue 18 Feb , 2020 0:00 am

I'm just looking round my "new" Novamill (it's not up and running yet) and I'm wondering if more of the Z travel could be used? Ideally in the VR mill software but failing that in Mach 3 etc, the limit switch would have to be moved etc.

The spec is 114mm, initially winding the head by hand up past the standard limit switch to the top of the dovetail (with no upper bellows) and down until it physically stops gave about 132mm, taking off the debris shield increases it to about 149mm but with 10mm of the bottom of the dovetail unused.

At this point while hard to see it looks like the simple square ballnut mount plate touches the bottom of the slot in the column "corner to corner", but only just and if relieved it looks like it might then physically move by 160mm of Z?

Of course I'd also need to add a column spacer block to make use of this travel IF possible as the head would be so close to the table! I'm just wondering if anyone's played with modifying this aspect of the mill at all?

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Re: Novamill Z travel

Post by TDIPower » Tue 18 Feb , 2020 13:58 pm

i have seen several posts/threads about spacer block but that just raises the head but doesn't extend the travel range. I think those that have used the spacer block were after a greater clearance with z all the way down. I think if it has the quick change tools you loose a fair bit of that clearance. I can't remember anyone changing the travel range by altering the feed screw.
It is quite simple in VR milling to change the travel parameters, just go into machine set up (password 'denny') and type in what you want. All the machine does is hits the home limit and then on feed counts the steps up to the limit you type in, so if the travel is possible you can use it.

I have done this several times for my microrouter, when I want to go beyond the normal range in Y (it is only possible if the router head doesn't need to plunge below a certain depth as it would catch on the side rails). I know if/when I replace the router motor for my machine I can get a more modern unit which is much smaller I will be able to extend the parameters by quite a bit.

Pete

knova
Hardware/Software: Non-ATC Novamill

Re: Novamill Z travel

Post by knova » Wed 19 Feb , 2020 16:28 pm

Awesome info there, thanks! That software option means I can possibly explore other cheeky ways to increase travel...