Novamill appears to have come off rails (XAxis)

All info relating to the Denford Novamill CNC Milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

marvinatkings

Novamill appears to have come off rails (XAxis)

Post by marvinatkings » Mon 20 Nov , 2006 16:01 pm

We have a Novamill that appears to have come off its X Axis rails. It is no longer able to "go home" to the lleft of the machins and is grinding its motor away far to the right ....... Any clues on how to get it to move back to the left would be appreciated.

it started earlier today when the DT staff tried to "autohome " the bed after an error. VRMilling 5 homed the other 2 axis but the X moved seady ever nearer to the right side of the case and now is stuck.
We are unable to manualy move it .... not knowing how
We are unable to get VRMilling 5 to move it as it doesnt respond to any commands.

Please point me at the solution. :)

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 20 Nov , 2006 17:21 pm

You need to use the secret home button to get past the homing stage to allow you to jog the machine. - see here:
viewtopic.php?t=62

Now you will be able to get into Jog mode, and carefully move the axis back to the middle position.

Have you re-installed the software ? and was the Novamill quite an old machine which has been upgraded to V5 milling ?
If so, then it could be that the X axis is homing in the wrong direction as the older machines homed in the opposite direction to the current ones. Try and find any commisioning notes / disks for the machine.

If you give us the serial number, we will be able to find the history of it.

marvinatkings

Novamill comes off rails (XAxis)

Post by marvinatkings » Tue 21 Nov , 2006 11:29 am

Thanks for the heads up ... found the secret button ....but that hasnt helped ... now we get the following message in yellow box

Cannot jog machine feedrate override is 0%!

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 21 Nov , 2006 11:46 am

Can you double check that you have the correct machine selected in the software.

Some machines have external feedrate control pots, and some use the software ones - this is set by a machine parameter in the software ... Machine Capability -> Feed Pot and Speed Pot tick boxes.

It sounds like you either have the wrong machine selected, or there should be a special setup disk which will configure your machine - if it was an upgrade from something older.

marvinatkings

Novamill comes off rails (XAxis)

Post by marvinatkings » Tue 21 Nov , 2006 12:08 pm

hmm ... so I check and the machine parameters need a password

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 21 Nov , 2006 12:12 pm

denny

marvinatkings

Ha ! seems to be fixed

Post by marvinatkings » Tue 21 Nov , 2006 12:47 pm

It would appear to have had a little operator error

I created a machine.mof from our second novamill and copied it to the affected machine, figuring it was curerently broken I couldn't make it any worse that it was. Then I tried to Jog the broken one .. and it worked

So now I have happy teachers.

Once again the Techy is a greater god

many thanks for the help

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 21 Nov , 2006 12:59 pm

Great stuff :D