Novamill headroom

All info relating to the Denford Novamill CNC Milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

JohnHaine
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: My Novamill, bought in Nov 11 without electronics, is now up and running under Mach3 with a home-build control box. I'm very pleased with the machine, only project so far is correcting a cheap small machine vice originally bought for a vertical slide to use on the machine - not a right-angle in it when bought!

Novamill headroom

Post by JohnHaine » Wed 25 Oct , 2017 11:23 am

I think we all know that there isn't much room under the spindle, especially when you mount a typical BT30/ER16 collet chuck in it. I have been looking in vain for a short chuck - it is possible to get very low overhang BT40 chucks for ER25 and ER32 collets such as this:

https://www.cutwel.co.uk/tool-holding/s ... xtra-short

...but I haven't seen anything similar for ER16. Looking at the size of the ER16 socket it ought to be possible to do something similar; or at least to just have the threaded portion projecting from the taper.

Before I have a go at making something, has anyone seen such a chuck available commercially? Combined with a low profile vice or clamping system it would make the machine much more capable.

madebymccoy
Hardware/Software: Novamill
- in process of upgrading controller to Mesa I/O and LinuxCNC
- retrofitting head with power drawbar
- and next year, raise column by 70mm

Microrouter V3

Micromill 2000

Re: Novamill headroom

Post by madebymccoy » Fri 03 Nov , 2017 22:21 pm

In short, yes, they're available.

But, it comes down to budget. We use a modular type, where the cutting tip mounts onto a shaft which is mounted to the BT30 tool holder. There's a wide range of shaft sizes (and of course diameters to match the tool tips) - they're Japanese, very high spec, and very expensive. Two companies manufacture for the same system - one uses the tool holder for shrink-fit holders and the for rigid milling. From memory these are circa 25mm length. Each tool tip is between £45 and £65 and the holders and shafts will set you back a few hundred easily. But they're amazing - because you're not clamping an end mill in a collet, but instead are threading it onto a shaft (the shaft locks into the tool holder and the pull stud is double-ended, and threads into the shaft), it's beyond rigid! I've seen them plow into nasty materials at speed and taking large amounts of material off, without any trouble.

There's also another Japanese brand that makes very short collet chucks which we also use (60mm length or less from memory) - you can get them through Misumi: https://uk.misumi-ec.com/vona2/detail/2 ... llet+chuck

Again, they're not the cheapest, and are £200 ex VAT without any collets (which are about £30-40 each, but if you check their specs you'll realise they're normal ER collets).

So, in there's options, but it's budget!

JohnHaine
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: My Novamill, bought in Nov 11 without electronics, is now up and running under Mach3 with a home-build control box. I'm very pleased with the machine, only project so far is correcting a cheap small machine vice originally bought for a vertical slide to use on the machine - not a right-angle in it when bought!

Post by JohnHaine » Thu 16 Nov , 2017 10:27 am

OK, thanks for that information - sorry for my slow reply! As you say, a bit pricy! Maybe I'll just make something...

hunterx33

Post by hunterx33 » Fri 18 Aug , 2023 12:26 pm

jannickz

Post by jannickz » Wed 17 Jan , 2024 2:48 am

Or you can get cheap and quality bearings from https://www.bearingforworld.com/