Triac vs Novamill, which would you purchase ?

All info relating to the Denford Novamill CNC Milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Iron-Man
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: Modified NovaTurn with Yaskawa AC Servos +-10V, PathPilot running on a GizmoSphere 1 with Ibob2 PCIE interface that I designed. Denford Triac to be modified with AC Servos.

Triac vs Novamill, which would you purchase ?

Post by Iron-Man » Tue 10 Jul , 2012 22:01 pm

I have been searching for a Novamill for some time now. One has become available but I have also found an older Triac. I like the smaller size of the Novamill but the Z axis is very limited. I would like to know what are the real trade-offs of a Triac vs Novamill. I will be starting a retrofit to AC servo motors for a ( Novaturn / Triac or Novamill ). Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Iron-Man

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Triac vs Novamill, which would you purchase ?

Post by bradders » Wed 11 Jul , 2012 8:53 am

Iron Man,

Condition, age and usage would be my prime concerns before purchase. If you are concerned about Z axis travel on the Novamill then go for the Triac. Work that will fit on a Triac may not fit on a Novamill.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 11 Jul , 2012 15:29 pm

.. and the Triac can be modified fairly easily to give even more usable height:
viewtopic.php?t=318

Iron-Man
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: Modified NovaTurn with Yaskawa AC Servos +-10V, PathPilot running on a GizmoSphere 1 with Ibob2 PCIE interface that I designed. Denford Triac to be modified with AC Servos.

Post by Iron-Man » Wed 11 Jul , 2012 20:18 pm

Thanks for all the replies. The machine is like the one listed on this site. It does not have the TV monitor. From what I was told and could inspect, it was hardly used. There were no sign of any rust etc.

Thanks all;

Iron-Man
Attachments
triac image.jpg
triac image.jpg (29.25 KiB) Viewed 5324 times

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 12 Jul , 2012 9:20 am

Yep - I'd go for the Triac - the casting will be much more rigid... especially if you're fitting servos.