Mirac or Starturn or other LCB3 Circut Board Print

All info relating to the Denford Mirac lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

pete S

Mirac or Starturn or other LCB3 Circut Board Print

Post by pete S » Thu 29 Sep , 2011 5:13 am

Hi.

The problem: the power supply for the board went out, this in turn caused me to trouble shoot, this lead to incorrect power application to the board,
this led to me engaging in a short nap! :)
This is probably a long shot but.....I need the actual Circut Board print for the LCB3 control board.
(not the wiring diagram for board/machine) and/or any circut board trouble shooting notes anyone may have.

Also, I am showing 8 led's where it should only show 1,2,or 3 led's. (Can't remember as it has been running
for so long, I haven't had the need to look! :) )

This happened due to my putting 12 volts to the input circut where it should have had only 5V.
Had the wrong wiring diagram for the board/machine. Any clues or ideas as to which component may have "popped" on the board?

Thanks for your efforts
Pete

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: Mirac or Starturn or other LCB3 Circut Board Print

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 29 Sep , 2011 9:19 am

Have found this
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3452

Hope it helps. Have you also searched the ORAC and TRIAC stuff ? - I seem think to some of those had PCB diagrams of the GSM boards

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: .....
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Post by angel-tech » Thu 29 Sep , 2011 14:28 pm

some miracs had this board.

pete S

Post by pete S » Sun 02 Oct , 2011 8:22 am

Denford Admin wrote:Have found this
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3452

Hope it helps. Have you also searched the ORAC and TRIAC stuff ? - I seem think to some of those had PCB diagrams of the GSM boards
Thanks a bazillion, plus or minus a few

This is what I was looking for. I have a gentelman who is working on the board now to locate the "operator" induced failure.
I did check mirac, orac, triac, novaturn and starturn and found much help for machine and machine to board wiring and somehow missed the ones you found. One thing I didn't know was that it was a Syntel-GSM board. The following one had the needed info for the circuit board itself - Syntel-LCB3-Circuit-Diagram-Part1.pdf [1.09 MiB]. I will do some more searching with the new info.

Thanks again so much for your help. If you or anyone has diagnostic notes etc. for this board, please let me know.

Sincerely
Pete
Thanks
Pete

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 03 Oct , 2011 9:10 am

I'm certain all we have on the GSM boards has been posted on here.
Some of the manuals from other machines which used that control show different amounts info and fault finding.
We don't have any of the low level fault finding notes though as it was (I think) designed and made by another company:
Sumatec
Albert Works
Abert Street
Huddersfield HD1 3QG

pete S

Post by pete S » Wed 05 Oct , 2011 1:16 am

Thanks for the reply Albert,

I have some diagnostic paperwork that someone might find useful, It came with one of the Denford manuals I purchased.
I would like to have you or someone else take a look at them and see if they are apropo for the forum.
How do I go about that. I need to get them into my computer first probably not in pdf format, but I'll try.
What do Ido with them/it from there?

Another longshot question. Any Parts in stock for the older Miracs (1989 to 1995)? chips for the boards? Hard parts for the machines?

Thanks again,
Pete
Thanks
Pete

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 05 Oct , 2011 8:33 am

I'm sure any info you have will be of use to someone else.
If you can photograph the pages and resize them as small as possible (but still readable) and post them on this thread, I can combine them into a .pdf and create a post in the electronics section.

We don't have any electronic spares for that age, but may have some mechanical Mirac bits.

I know of a possibly spare LCB board from a Starturn 8, but you'd have to post a photo of what it looks like to know what I'm looking for.

pete S

Post by pete S » Sun 09 Oct , 2011 11:43 am

Hi Albert,
(is that correct?)
I am interested in the board if it is an LCB3. If it says LCB3 on it, no matter what it is from, I am interested.
If you can email me a pic of your board along with some pricing, I am ready and sitting down :).

Come to think of it I might be interested if it is for an early Starturn and is not an LCB3.
I will try to upload some pics of my Mirac LCB3 tomorrow.

Thanks again for your time.
Pete

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 10 Oct , 2011 8:29 am

Apparently it won't be LCB3 if its from a Starturn 8, but I'll get a photo of it soon...

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 12 Oct , 2011 8:41 am

This is the board from the Starturn.
The owner would rather keep it than just give it away so make a decent offer if you're interested...
Attachments
Syntel-Slave-Board.JPG
GSM Syntel slave board from a Starurn 8
Syntel-Slave-Board.JPG (165.92 KiB) Viewed 10163 times

pete S

Post by pete S » Sun 06 Nov , 2011 4:32 am

Hi to Adm,

Thanks for all of your efforts. I will pass on the Starturn 8 board. (I will still take any leads on an LCB3 board). I have decided to convert my Starturn 4 to run Mach3.
I will post a step by step when completed in a few months. I am starting with an inexpensive XYDrive Breakout Board and stepper drivers.

I have located an LCB3 Board from yantra3d who has done a conversion on his Mirac. (Posted here and CNCzone) This should get my Mirac up and running, if the board works :).

I am looking for another item and if you could look into this, I would greatly appreciate it. I am looking for an IC chip for the LCB3 board that you may have lying around somewhere.
It is a 2764 series 28 pin Eprom that would have a lable on it marked with some numbers that refer to version etc, but the main thing would be the "LCB3" reference on this white sticky lable covering the "window" on the chip.

Thanks
Pete
Thanks
Pete

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 07 Nov , 2011 9:36 am

It is a 2764 series 28 pin Eprom that would have a lable on it marked with some numbers that refer to version etc, but the main thing would be the "LCB3" reference on this white sticky lable covering the "window" on the chip.
We've nothing like that lying around but if you find an EPROM to copy from, then please post the .hex file here to keep for reference.

pete S

Post by pete S » Mon 07 Nov , 2011 21:38 pm

Hi,

I will do that. I just purchased an chip Programer/Copier and as soon as I fiugure it out and have a chip to work from I will make some copies of the chip as well as posting the needed info here.

Once I changed out a few components that had gotten "soggy" from sitting around in a barn somwhere and then figured out how to get my Mirac running, I just loved it. It has run pretty much trouble free for quite some time and has done all I have required of it. And believe me I have pushed the machine to and past its limits. I have converted it to a 5" 4 jaw self centering chuck and run a fair amount of production on it and run it like a "chucker" most of the time. It's just a great, well built, precision machine, with some pissy electronics, but if treated right, will run a very long time without problem. I just hope this new board works as this will allow us to figure out what is wrong with the 2 boards I yankerd' up.

To all Thanks for the help, it is appreciated.

Pete