DENFORD VICEROY TDS 1.1 GB Top Lever and fd'shft/ld'scrw selection lever Stuck

General support, help and advice for Denford CNC machines (old and new)

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

CiscoKarim
Hardware/Software: windows7/PC/DENFORD VICEROY TDS 1.1 GB METRIC SCREWCUTTING METAL LATHE

DENFORD VICEROY TDS 1.1 GB Top Lever and fd'shft/ld'scrw selection lever Stuck

Post by CiscoKarim » Fri 20 Sep , 2019 17:48 pm

Hello All,
I am a novice and new to lathes and new to this forum. I bought a lathe DENFORD VICEROY TDS 1.1 GB METRIC LATHE (three phase) few weeks ago and got it running today. Went through the manual and online videos to get some sense of how this machine works.

I am currently experiencing an issue with the top (left-centre-right) and feedshaft/leadscrew selection levers. Both seem to be stuck and will not move. Moreover, the feedshaft and leadscrew arent turning either. Lathe is running fine and the quadrant sliding gear engages fine and seem to rotate and engage all gears well.

I am confident that i followed the instruction from the manual as follows.

Ran the lathe.
Put the gear engagement lever on neutral.
selected a gear position using selector dial.
put the gear engagement lever on the number selected by selector dial.
(still feedshaft and leadscrew arent turning)
try to move the top lever and feed shaft selection levers but they feel jammed. Didnt try force fearing damage.

I hope i am not making some simple silly mistake.

Any help would be appreciated.

Shamus

Re: DENFORD VICEROY TDS 1.1 GB Top Lever and fd'shft/ld'scrw selection lever Stuck

Post by Shamus » Wed 18 Mar , 2020 22:45 pm

Hi,
I've recently joined the forum and browsing through come across your post, I have had the same issue with the top lever selector. The leadscrew and feedshaft lever is moving freely however. Mines is stuck on "right" after I selected it it just wouldn't come back to centre. Did you ever get to the bottom of it....? Would be handy to get mines going again.
Regards Shamus.

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Re: DENFORD VICEROY TDS 1.1 GB Top Lever and fd'shft/ld'scrw selection lever Stuck

Post by Pete. » Fri 20 Mar , 2020 0:21 am

Shamus,

This is what your gearbox will look like inside.
gearbox.JPG
gearbox.JPG (209.93 KiB) Viewed 10198 times
That small gear on the far left is the tumbler quadrant gear. If you just remove the lever to pull the front off the quadrant will fall to the bottom and dis-engage with that gear. You need to avoid that at all costs or you'll have the devil of a time setting the tumbler engagement. I had to press the oil sight glass out of mine so I could see to put it back together and I still managed to mess it up one time.

This gearbox has got to be one of the stupidest things ever designed.

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Pete. » Fri 20 Mar , 2020 17:19 pm

Shamus I think that your problem is that you have sheared off this key circled in the pic. It will be pretty obvious when you get the box apart, just slide the lever to the left to the 'screwcutting' position and you can turn the shaft to see if the key is sheared.
gearbox_feedshaft key.jpg
gearbox_feedshaft key.jpg (154.75 KiB) Viewed 10131 times
Pete.