Speed and Feed GUIDE for Denford machines

General support, help and advice for Denford CNC machines (old and new)

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Speed and Feed GUIDE for Denford machines

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 17 Jul , 2006 11:31 am

Here is a useful guide to what spindle (RPM) and feed (mm/min) rates to use on the most popular materials.
It includes both Denford milling machines and routers as well as tips on what to do if you have problems.

NB It is intended as a guide only, you will have to make adjustments for your own particular setup - we will not accept responsibilty for any damage which may occur as a result of using this guide !

http://www.denfordata.com/pdfs/SpindleS ... Insert.pdf (700Kb)

Benny
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Router 2600 PRO - Feedrate and Cutter for Aluminum

Post by Benny » Fri 08 Feb , 2008 16:44 pm

Router 2600 PRO - We have experimented with various endmills for cutting aluminum for making gearbox components, parts and mounting brackets for use in robotic competition. Mounting a piece of MDF to the machine table to act as a sacrifice/fixture, the aluminum sheet was screwed down with wood screws. After cutting shapes, lines, and milling pockets with different endmills, the Niagra Cutter # 85351 gave the best cut and finish with a FEEDRATE of 8 IPM (inches per minute) and a 15 step down at 18,000 RPM. The Niagra cutter was 1/4" x 3/4" flute, 1/4" shank, 2 1/2 OAL / 2 Flute - SE - center cut - 30 degree helix / solide carbide - TiALN coated.

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Mon 11 Feb , 2008 13:35 pm

Only cut aluminium on the 2600Pro and Compact 1000Pro

Damage will occur if you do this with the Porter cable motor as chips can get into the motor!!!

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

finding the correct feed and speed

Post by Steve » Tue 01 Jul , 2008 12:41 pm

There are several articles on our technical forum that relate to this. See viewtopic.php?t=787&highlight=feeds

Aluminium is always difficult to cut as it is soft and tends to clog the tool. You are better to use a larger diameter cutter with a spiral flute. 6mm would be ideal. Solid carbide is better than HSS as it will last longer.

The material must be clamped down very securely to ensure there is no vibration.

I would try about 12000 RPM and look at 600 to 800mm/ min.

Take the depth of cut to about 1 or 2 mm.

Depending what you are trying to do the problem can be caused by the chips being trapped and rubbed against the side of the tool causing friction.

You can experiment cutting manually by starting the spindle at top speed then turn it down with the speed override knob and then setting the jog feed at say 2000 and turn the feed override knob down so it is going to cut at 600mm/ min

Manually take a cut about 1mm deep and turn the feed up slowly with the feed override knob to find the best result for the material.

You can experiment with higher speeds until you find what works best.

Every material is different and there is not a set feed and speed we can recommend that works every time.

Sheet material tends to be a lower grade and will not be free cutting.

Buying the correct material may be more expensive but will save you money on cutters in the long run.

Best Regards,

Steve Oddy

triac
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Re: Speed and Feed GUIDE for Denford machines

Post by triac » Tue 27 Aug , 2019 19:58 pm

I would add it is always a good idea to blow the chips away so the cutter doesn't have to cut them again, also a lubricant will help as it prevents build up on the cutter flute/s which if that happens it will leave a very poor finish. Flood coolant does both jobs but is not possible on all machines.

Triac

Palmbay
Hardware/Software: Denford 2600 ATC

Re:

Post by Palmbay » Wed 04 Sep , 2019 18:00 pm

Steve wrote:
Mon 11 Feb , 2008 13:35 pm
Only cut aluminium on the 2600Pro and Compact 1000Pro

Damage will occur if you do this with the Porter cable motor as chips can get into the motor!!!
Will this happen on the Denford 2600 ATC? Should aluminum be milled in this machine or not?

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Re: Speed and Feed GUIDE for Denford machines

Post by TDIPower » Wed 04 Sep , 2019 19:51 pm

This had me wondering as I have the Mircrorouter Pro with a PC motor, I thought the Pro version was OK for alu but not steel. I would have thought putting filter cloth over the vents would have been OK. I use off cuts from the cooker hood filters in the kitchen for the fan filter, sticking them on the vents would stop swarf getting in.

Pete