Harrison TU150, 1994 serial no. 0016

General support, help and advice for Denford CNC machines (old and new)

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

olov

Harrison TU150, 1994 serial no. 0016

Post by olov » Sun 26 Mar , 2006 22:26 pm

I try to connect a harddrive to my lathe but it will not recognize it...
I have enabled ide in the bios, put all the parameters for the hdd, ( cyl's etc.) but it still doesnt recognize the hdd. When i reboot, it says "wrong disk". Then i check the bios settings, and the ide is disabled...
I'll use an old Samsung SHD-3122A, 250 Mb hdd. Also tried an SHD-3062A, 120 Mb.
What can i do ? Why does the 386sx disable my ide-interface after the next reboot ?

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 27 Mar , 2006 10:14 am

Its a while since I played with these old DOS settings but wasn't there a limito to the size an old BIOS would see? (32 / 64Mb?? - I really can't remember).
Seem to think there are some jumpers on the drives for compatibility with older BIOSes - a 32Mb clip jumper rings a bell :?

Sorry can't help much more - the PC card was from a company called DSP Design Ltd in Chesterfield: www.dspdesign.com

Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Mr Magoo » Mon 27 Mar , 2006 10:38 am

The BIOS settings for the PC in the Harrison machines was hard-coded in the BIOS EPROM on the PC card.

This was done so that if the NVR battery went flat, teh machine would still boot up

So if you make changes to the BIOS settings then reboot the PC, the will revert back to the settings held in the EPROM.

Try contacting DSP Design (See Denford Admin earlier post) to see if they can supply an EPROM that doesn't over-write the BIOS settings during boot. I guess they wil need the BIOS version you currently have.

olov

Post by olov » Mon 27 Mar , 2006 17:22 pm

Okay, thank's for your quick response, that would explain the behavior for the bios...