X axis stiff

All info relating to the Denford MicroRouter and MicroRouter Pro CNC Routers

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

ScottC
Hardware/Software: Newbie!

X axis stiff

Post by ScottC » Wed 28 Dec , 2011 15:40 pm

Hi

Well now Christmas is over it is time play with the microrouter I bought at the end of November :-)

I have noticed that the machine is stalling when it moves quickly along the x axis towards the end of its travel to the left hand side ie away from the 'Home' position.

I cleaned the antibacklash and the leadscrews and the slides and lubricated with silicon spray which has made very little difference.

I have now disconnected the antilash nuts and wound both assemblies to the far LHS so I can slide the carriage along its travel.

Starting at the 'Home' position there is a little stiffness for an inch or so, then it moves freely until about a foot from the extreme LHS where it gets REALLY stiff so it looks like the slide rails are not running completely parallel.

What is the procedure for setting these up, there are a load of allen screws securing the slide rails to the main body of the machine so guess these need slackening off and resetting but any advice would be welcome.

Cheers

ScottC

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: .....
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Re: X axis stiff

Post by angel-tech » Wed 28 Dec , 2011 22:45 pm

check the drive belt isn't slipping and going out of sync

ScottC

Post by ScottC » Thu 29 Dec , 2011 0:46 am

Hi angel-tech

Well the carriage is disconnected from the leadscrews so I guess that eliminates the drive belt unless I am missing something.

I am moving the carriage by hand and it is very stiff to the LHS so I guess the slide rails are a fraction out?

ScottC

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: .....
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Post by angel-tech » Thu 29 Dec , 2011 1:13 am

they might be out of sync from a possible belt slip.

Sorry i just read your post fully, trying to move the axis by hand is quite difficult to get the pressure correct to balance it out. If the one side is binding badly could you seperate the bearings and try to slide them seperatly.

ScottC

Post by ScottC » Thu 29 Dec , 2011 1:32 am

Hi

How can i separate the bearings from the carriage, if I could then that may eliminate any idea that the slide rails are not running parallel to each other. It is just that the carriage is tight at each end and free in the middle makes me wonder if the rails need realigning and if there is a procedure for this.

The machine is 10 years old and in excellent condition, it just needs a bit of an overhaul...

Scott

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Thu 29 Dec , 2011 6:01 am

If you remove both end bearings you can then wind the nuts off the leadscrew. Then you can slide the X. If it is still tight undo the 4mm cap head screws that hold the front rail down. Then undo 2 of the 3 grub screws on the side of the Y axis assembly that clamp the crossbars. Now tighten the rail while moving the X at the same time. Then reset the grub screws. then clean & refit both nuts. Make sure they line up correctly & then fit the bearing assembly.

ScottC

Post by ScottC » Thu 29 Dec , 2011 13:28 pm

Martin

Thank you so much for the info, I will try this afternoon and see what happens. Hopefully it will be as good as new once it is all set up correctly :lol:

Do you know if there is an exploded diagram of a Microrouter that I can download and an operators manual?

Cheers

Scott