All info relating to the Denford MicroMill and MicroTurn lathes and mills

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

robertjenkins
Hardware/Software: Denford Micromill 2000

Removing X stepper

Post by robertjenkins » Tue 21 Dec , 2021 13:57 pm

Hi
I need to remove/replace the X stepper on my micromill
I have removed the four screws that hold it in place, and it now rotates freely about the thread. But I can't see how to disconnect it from the thread (if that's what I need to do). There is a nut on the thread near the motor that I can turn but it doesn't seem to loosen the stepper. There is also a plastic cone, the fat end of which is on the motor, the thin end of which is at the thread. I feel that I should be able to remove but I don't know how.
The link in one of the sticky posts here to sherline that apparently shows the details is broken.

MadeForThat
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: Micromill 2000:
Nextstep-4 axis
Novaturn ns:
denstep card (from swap)-atc

Re: Removing X stepper

Post by MadeForThat » Tue 21 Dec , 2021 14:10 pm

On the "cone" that the motor is inserted into, there should be a small plastic plug on the top. If you pull this plug out you can undo the set screws on the coupler between the color and the leadscrew

robertjenkins

Post by robertjenkins » Tue 21 Dec , 2021 16:07 pm

Thanks. Do you mean in the "wall" of the cone rather than either end? There are no plastic plugs but maybe they've already been removed because there is a small hole in each one. But the hole (on the X stepper) is facing downwards and I can't see what is beyond the hole. Feeling around with an Allen key I can't engage with anything. Can I disconnect the whole X table to get a better look?

robertjenkins

Post by robertjenkins » Tue 21 Dec , 2021 16:47 pm

Scrub that - I've removed the whole mill from the case and have managed to disconnect the stepper