1996 micromill I/O / interfacing

All info relating to the Denford MicroMill and MicroTurn lathes and mills

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

REG
Hardware/Software: Micromill

1996 micromill I/O / interfacing

Post by REG » Fri 16 Jan , 2015 2:14 am

Hello I am a student who is currently working on interfacing a Pegasus Robot to a Denford Micromill that uses VR Milling. Has SmartStep/3. I have little knowledge of what anyone has done with this machine or its software previously. My book actually walks you through the process for the most part. There is just one problem with that. The book refers to a much newer Micromill, Not the 1996 model that my school actually has. To my knowledge ( which is not a whole lot on this matter) the M62 code my book tells you to use to turn on output 1 is actually for an aux. output on the newer models and the the M66 code (wait input low) also refers to newer models. I will attach the only picture I have at the moment (I can provide more later if needed.) I am trying to gain as much info about the I/O as possible on the 1996 model. I/O active high or active low, switch closure or not??. What voltage should I be reading across an output and ground when said output is on.

Are there even codes to turn on the outputs and read the inputs on the machine? If not, is there a way for me to make codes to perform these duties? I just need to be able to turn on one output and one input to receive a signal from the robot.

Any answers to my questions or helpful information is greatly appreciated.
Capture.GIF
Capture.GIF (253.66 KiB) Viewed 5412 times

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: 1996 micromill I/O / interfacing

Post by Steve » Tue 03 Mar , 2015 11:40 am

Just looking at the photo you have supplied it appears there is a connector shown at the bottom Left of the picture.

This looks like the QM plug we currently fit for the Aux I/O.

On the smartstep control there was limited I/O and I cant find which pins would be used but suspect one of the relays will toggle as you set the m62.

REG
Hardware/Software: Micromill

Re: 1996 micromill I/O / interfacing

Post by REG » Fri 13 Mar , 2015 1:38 am

Hey,
Thanks for the reply. I have since got it all figured out. A lot of the problem was all in the MNT. file downloaded to the board. Nothing was written for most of the I/O of for this board, but instead for Aux. I/O not found on the SmartStep3 (presumably the file was written for a newer board). I was able to make edits to the existing file and once I blindly figured out how to use MintMan Software Utility ( I could find no documentation anywhere on how to use it)things started to go a lot more smoothly. If anyone ever has similar inquiries they can try me, I will soon have a well documented report on this project. randygiffin@yahoo.com