Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

milton d
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: Micromill 2000 #SP 38556 April 1996
ORAC CNC Lathe November 1983

Micromill success!

Post by milton d » Sun 05 Sep , 2010 12:29 pm

I've finally achieved my goal of getting my Micromill running. I bought it very cheap but it came with no software, cable or dongle. I struggled for days trying to get it to work with the free DOS software download and making my own serial cable with no success. Thank you very much to Denford Admin for patiently answering my questions and trying your best to help. :)

I finally gave up on that yesterday and decided to do what angel-tech did here: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=2264

Once the top board was off (2 screws), I connected to the 96 pin header on the SmartStep/3 board with some Futaba J connectors from my r/c model days. I followed the pin guide here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2119 I removed the black wire pins from the connector shells and plugged them onto the gnd pins separately. This leaves the red/white wires in the shells for the step/dir signals on pins 14 & 15.

I cut the end off an old parallel cable and matched up the wires using the pin assignments I found here towards the bottom of the page: http://www.hobbycnc.com/products/hobbyc ... oard-kits/

Yes, I know there's no isolation in my parallel cable hack but I didn't want to spend any cash until I found out if this thing works.

I drug an old PII 400 down out of the attic to sacrifice its parallel port in case I wired something wrong. It has W2K installed so I went here: http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and downloaded their custom DOS boot disk without ramdrive. I downloaded TurboCNC (DOS shareware) from http://www.dakeng.com/turbo.html and installed it. After setting the step/dir pin assignments in TurboCNC's Configure screen it all works great!

I still have to get the spindle motor controller working and hook up the limit switches but I'm a very happy camper today! :D

I wish I could say I am smart enough to have figured all this out myself but Mr. Evan Williams of Canada, a fellow member of the Homeshop Machinist forum held my hand throughout the process. Thanks Evan!
"Accuracy is the combined total of your compensating mistakes."

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: .....
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Re: Micromill success!

Post by angel-tech » Sun 05 Sep , 2010 14:30 pm

it's a great feeling when the motors respond isn't it?. You could have pm'd me and i would have guided you through this.

milton d
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: Micromill 2000 #SP 38556 April 1996
ORAC CNC Lathe November 1983

Post by milton d » Sun 05 Sep , 2010 15:32 pm

angel-tech wrote:it's a great feeling when the motors respond isn't it?. You could have pm'd me and i would have guided you through this.
Yup, great feeling indeed! Thanks for the offer...I figured your post was so old (2006 I think it was) you'd long ago traded the M/M for a Haas or something. :wink:

Did you ever get the spindle controller working and the limit switches?
"Accuracy is the combined total of your compensating mistakes."

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: .....
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Post by angel-tech » Sun 05 Sep , 2010 15:46 pm

everything working fine.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 06 Sep , 2010 8:35 am

I've finally achieved my goal of getting my Micromill running
That was a busy weekend then !