spindle shaft not true

All info relating to the Denford EasiMill and EasiTurn lathes and mills

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

fastpart
Hardware/Software: easyturn converted to edding cnc controler

spindle shaft not true

Post by fastpart » Sat 10 May , 2014 12:03 pm

hi i have a easyturn lathe I have done a lot of work converting to edding cnc control but have
found that the head seems to be out of true is the front spindle bearing housing line bored or eccentric I did replace the spindle bearings but i am getting about 2 thou per inch taper when turning a shaft any ideas anyone cheers glen

Egon

Re: spindle shaft not true

Post by Egon » Sun 11 May , 2014 12:45 pm

fastpart wrote:hi i have a easyturn lathe I have done a lot of work converting to edding cnc control but have
found that the head seems to be out of true is the front spindle bearing housing line bored or eccentric I did replace the spindle bearings but i am getting about 2 thou per inch taper when turning a shaft any ideas anyone cheers glen
I have asked this question before, seems know one knows :shock:

If you do find out please let me know.

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Post by Andy B » Tue 13 May , 2014 10:17 am

Have you put a morse-taper test bar in the headstock and checked the alignment of headstock to bed?
I don't know the exact details of the Easiturns, but I believe they are based on the 280 manual lathes where the headstock is bolted to the bed and uses a tenon for location (these items are also shown in the Easiturn parts list on this forum).

Experience when rebuilding my 280VS was that the headstock needed some careful alignment.
If yours has been shipped more than once in its life, or ever had a serious tool breakage, etc, it may have been pushed out of alignment.

There are various web pages on checking alignment of a lathe - have you been through those checks?

Andy

Egon

Post by Egon » Sat 07 Jun , 2014 18:37 pm

Andy B wrote:Have you put a morse-taper test bar in the headstock and checked the alignment of headstock to bed?

Yes - definitely out.
I don't know the exact details of the Easiturns, but I believe they are based on the 280 manual lathes where the headstock is bolted to the bed and uses a tenon for location (these items are also shown in the Easiturn parts list on this forum).
I have checked them and can't see a description of the headstock bolts.
Experience when rebuilding my 280VS was that the headstock needed some careful alignment.
If yours has been shipped more than once in its life, or ever had a serious tool breakage, etc, it may have been pushed out of alignment.
There are various web pages on checking alignment of a lathe - have you been through those checks?
Andy
Yes

Thanks for the help.
Egon

PS I am after a fixed steady for the Easiturn 3, any idea where I could get one?

Egon

Re: spindle shaft not true - FIXED

Post by Egon » Sun 08 Jun , 2014 13:12 pm

OK managed to sort it:

On the top just left of the spindle is a small access panel - take this off and you'll see the spindle shaft. Below the shaft in the corners theres 4 socket/allen head bolts. Simply release these and you can move the head. The back ones however are a nightmare to access, but it can be done.

Mine is an Easiturn 3 and has a belt drive spindle motor, you also need to slacken off the tensioning bolt before you re-align.

My lathe was 0.6mm out of line in 100mm of Z axis travel :shock: Now it is 0.01mm - which for what i am doing is fine.

Basic stuff I know but it may help someone.

Egon

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Post by Andy B » Mon 09 Jun , 2014 7:41 am

Good to hear you've fixed it - and confirmed about the 4 bolts that hold the headstock.
Sounds like accessing them is a bit harder than on the manual machines - which can be aasily accessed simply by removing the top cover.

Regarding your p.s. - unfortunately fixed steadies for the 280's and Easiturns are like an even rarer brand of rocking-horse droppings compared to those for the 5" lathes.
They very occasionally turn up on ebay or through dealers.

Andy