Easiturn 3 “MACHINE LIMIT EXCEED IN X”

All info relating to the Denford EasiMill and EasiTurn lathes and mills

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Easiturn 3 “MACHINE LIMIT EXCEED IN X”

Post by bradders » Thu 21 Feb , 2008 11:45 am

In our school (of technical education), we have a turning lathe; model "Easiturn 3 with control unit PNC3 (TDS/E/T/CNC, Serial No ET 18094N, Date of MFC November 1984) that used to work normally.
As soon as the last operation was finished, we pushed the "ZERO" button so as to return to the starting point. This function ended as it should, and then we turned the machine off.
It then left inactive, for almost a year. Now, the machine has the following problem: When we turn it on, we push the button "ZERO" as the indicator «PRESS ZERO TO DATUM THE MACHINE» prompts us. Then, it is indicated in the screen: “MACHINE LIMIT EXCEED IN X”, and no more functions are accomplished.
Does anyone know which is the problem of the machine and how we can repair it?

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by bradders » Thu 21 Feb , 2008 11:48 am

If the X axis on a limit or datum switch? I am not too familiar with the Easiturn 3 but does it have a "OVER TRAVEL" button? if so press it in while you are booting up the machine and see if the axis will jog away from the switch
Last edited by bradders on Mon 12 May , 2008 14:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Thu 21 Feb , 2008 14:33 pm

Try the "T test" .

Power up the control then press "T" on the opperators pannel.

It will tell you at the bottom of the screen which overtravel is active & will show when it is clear.

You can then try moving the X axis away by turning the stepper motor pulley.

Lone_Ranger
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Re: Easiturn 3 “MACHINE LIMIT EXCEED IN X”

Post by Lone_Ranger » Thu 21 Feb , 2008 22:02 pm

bradders wrote:In our school (of technical education), we have a turning lathe; model "Easiturn 3 with control unit PNC3 (TDS/E/T/CNC, Serial No ET 18094N, Date of MFC November 1984) that used to work normally.
As soon as the last operation was finished, we pushed the "ZERO" button so as to return to the starting point. This function ended as it should, and then we turned the machine off.
It then left inactive, for almost a year. Now, the machine has the following problem: When we turn it on, we push the button "ZERO" as the indicator «PRESS ZERO TO DATUM THE MACHINE» prompts us. Then, it is indicated in the screen: “MACHINE LIMIT EXCEED IN X”, and no more functions are accomplished.
Does anyone know which is the problem of the machine and how we can repair it?
If the machine has limit switches (Micro switch ie actual physical switch) then it is very possible that because it was left standing for a very long time with the switch depressed it could easily have stuck in position and will not release!

This is very common on CNC machines, I always leave all my machines "parked" away from any X,Y or Z limits so no switches are actuated. I have a couple of Mills that have an automatic "Park" point away from everything for just this reason! I have a Sugino Drill/Tap machine and 2 Denford Cyclone Lathes that will do this if I leave them for just a couple of weeks!!

Find the X axis limit switch and check it out, if it is the "Proximity Sensor" type (I had a Denford Easi Mill 3 and an Easi Turn 2 with these on) then make sure these are clean and dry.
Having done all that then with all power off manually move both Axis to roughly the middle of their travels, power up and then try to home the machine!

The above has always worked for me on any and all of my machines over the years!!

Good luck, hope this helped.

Regards
rob