Easiturn3 X axis cross slide miss positioning.

All info relating to the Denford EasiMill and EasiTurn lathes and mills

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Easiturn3 X axis cross slide miss positioning.

Post by Martin » Wed 02 Nov , 2011 2:23 am

Is there any backlash in the X axis?
Also the slideway may need adjusting. It can cause it to missposition if it is not tight enough. You can adjust it with the grub screws on the right of the slide.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 02 Nov , 2011 9:43 am

This does sound the same as the Starturn I'm helping with...
Apparently the slide moves freely and the motor spins freely when disconnected - all I can guess is that a bearing somewhere is tightening up when side load is applied ie, by fitting the pulley and belt (The belt did seem very tight to me)
I'll know more when I get chance to make an adaptor plate and fit a new stepper...

pistolknight
Hardware/Software: Easiturn3 with eazicnc3

Post by pistolknight » Wed 02 Nov , 2011 11:39 am

This does sound the same as the Starturn I'm helping with...
Apparently the slide moves freely and the motor spins freely when disconnected - all I can guess is that a bearing somewhere is tightening up when side load is applied ie, by fitting the pulley and belt (The belt did seem very tight to me)
I'll know more when I get chance to make an adaptor plate and fit a new stepper...

Does that mean that you are going to fit a nema23? I was thinking that might be the direction i'm gonna take. I haven't found one with a 3/8" shaft yet!
Regards, David

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 03 Nov , 2011 9:31 am

That's the idea but haven't had chance to look at pulleys yet...

pistolknight

Post by pistolknight » Thu 17 Nov , 2011 11:55 am

I just fitted a new Nema 34 from Arc Euro Trade and it's a huge improvement. I have to say that when i removed the old motor, i noticed too that the belt was very tight. When the tension was taken off the belt i noticed that the top pulley relaxed in the opposite direction as if it was far too tight. Since doing the changeover i've cut a hundred or so items and i've noticed a bit of drift on my x axis sizes. Any ideas?

Regards,
David

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 18 Nov , 2011 10:12 am

I suppose it could still be stalling but only one or two steps - maybe the ballscrew end bearing is also a bit tired after having that load on them all this time ?
Best thing to do is run the X onto a clock (DTI) backwards and forwards - if it repeats then increase feedrate gradually until it starts losing position.
Steppers have good torque at lower feeds but drop off with speed, so you may need to find the most reliable feedrate for X and stick to it.

pistolknight

Post by pistolknight » Fri 18 Nov , 2011 11:40 am

Thanks for that suggestion. I will give it a try tonight.
Regards,
David