Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Laine
Hardware/Software: Cyclone TU 150 P
Dyna Myte DM1007
Fusion 360

Baruffaldi TOE 80 locking

Post by Laine » Sat 18 Dec , 2021 12:12 pm

Hi all, what a great forum this is!

Quite recently I acquired most likely the only TU 150 P in Finland. It's been in some kind of mass production use earlier, has all the bells and whistles like bar feeder, hydraulic chuck etc. Been doing some small parts from aluminum to stainless and it has worked pretty well considering the size of the machine.

Just a week ago had an unfortunate crash which resulted in base jaws fracture, which I already got a replacement parts from Kitagawa. During the crash turret took a hit too resulting in it losing the locking function as you can see from the video below. Just by requesting the turret to rotate, the locking function started working again but it's still missing the locking force. This results in the turret giving back once the tool touches the workpiece. Ever since I haven't been able to get any tool to work without extensive chatter. The turret vibrates during turning operations significantly, which is clear checking with a dial indicator.

https://youtu.be/2i4XHVn6dUU

I have checked the manuals posted here about the TOE turrets but figured to ask before taking it all apart. As I am not sure at all how this thing works and the semi blurry images in the manuals don't provide much insight, to me at least.

Does anyone have an idea of what could be broken to what extent the turret would need to be disassembled to be able to replace the damaged parts? Can all the locking parts be accessed from the face plate side once the tool post (or what's it called) is removed? I would like to steer clear of all the electrical components...

Then there's some kind of adjustment on front and rear of the turret, anyone have an idea what these are for? Could adjusting these remedy the problem?

moray
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: Triac VMC

Re: Baruffaldi TOE 80 locking

Post by moray » Sun 19 Dec , 2021 0:59 am

Sounds like you're going to have to dismantle the turret.

I crashed my Cyclone last year, which resulted in shearing the three pins that carry the epicyclic gears, along with splitting one of the gears.
I did get in touch with Barfuldi, but the only thing they offered was if I sent the turret to them, they would assess it for repair.
In the end, I got new pins and a gear custom made, but I have since sold the machine.

I have attached a higher quality version of the manual.
Attachments
TOE80 (good quality).pdf
(2.31 MiB) Downloaded 348 times

Laine
Hardware/Software: Cyclone TU 150 P
Dyna Myte DM1007
Fusion 360

Re: Baruffaldi TOE 80 locking

Post by Laine » Mon 28 Feb , 2022 12:09 pm

Thank you moray for the good quality manual, it was really helpful. Turns out there was no major damage, just a lot of wear/bad shimming. It wasn't much of a job to make the new shims to get rid of the play in the turret. I ended up manufacturing the shims 464, 465 and 030. I also got new bumpers and gaskets from Baruffaldi for next to nothing and was able to get rid of some quick and dirty fixes there.

Now as a result there is still some play in the turret, by prying it with a wooden bar I can measure 0,03mm play back and forth from a boring bar holder. If anyone's got an idea whether this is acceptable or not, feel free to educate me. :lol: Anyways, before moving on to the next problem I tried turning and now it was possible once more, the really excessive chatter caused by oscillating turret was gone.